Best choice on .223 and .308 bolt action

syonyc

Inactive
I'm trying to decide between .223 or .308 caliber.

Mostly for Hunting:

-I'm looking for a .223 Bolt Action rifle with the ability to shoot down a deer, also what Ammo will do the job.
Also what round to take down coyotes.
Budget of $700-$1000 (not including Scope)

-Bolt action rifle .308 models.
what will be rounds for deer and coyotes?
Same price range.

I want to get the best out of my money.

If I can consolidate predator hunting and big game hunting into one single rifle I can even put some more money into it.

Or in worst of cases just buy a average 223 and medium line 308.

Thanks for your help guys.

With a $700-$1000 budget I'll 2nd Winchester.

The 223 will work on deer size game, but really shines on smaller stuff. Not really suitable for anything larger than deer.

A 308 is pretty ideal for most anything in North America. Some would prefer something bigger for elk size game, but it'll work just fine. It is a little big and with more recoil really needed for varmints, but will work.

I could buy one of each and do everything I'll ever do with a rifle. I'd go with 308 first, and add a 2nd rifle later when I could afford it.

If it has to be one rifle, you want a 243. It is just about perfect for deer, and not too big for varmints. While not ideal, it can work for elk size game.

kraigwy said:
Model 70 Winchester

Rare as hens teeth to find a M70 .223! You might break a 1K budget finding one of those old .223 rifles. Better off finding a .22-250 for a M70, but you can pick up a new FN TSR rifle in .223 and basically have a new push feed M70 .223 Rem. The FN TSR will probably cost you a little over $800

I am a Savage fan.I like them because it is so easy to change barrels on them and I like to play with wildcats. BUT, the ones I have with factory barrels seem to shoot real well.

rem 700,s. i have a .223 700lvs and a .308 700lvs and they are all i could have ask for. i have 6.5x20 target leupolds on both and they are both 2 " rifles or better at 300yds with the loads they like. i hit and killed a groundhog at a little over 700yds with .308 on the first shot, running clicks and a lica RF. no wind and a little luck maybe. i would not be afraid of a good used rifle if you could get a honest history before buying. eastbank.

You have to pick a rifle that fits and feels good to you.

Asking for recommendations will just tell you what other people like, and not what will work for you.

If you want a combination deer/varmint rifle, the 243 was designed specifically to do that job, and it does it very well.

Any rifle from a major manufacturer will shoot better than most people once you find the right loads.

An even better choice would be to buy two used rifles, one in 223 for smaller game and cheaper target practice, and one 24 or larger caliber for hunting big game

You don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent shooting set up, and you don't have to buy both right now.

You have almost a year before deer season to look for a good deal on the larger caliber, and that much time to be practicing with the smaller caliber

Great thats right. I think Axis II XP with accutrigger on 223 will be my first choice. After a couple months I can start looking for my .308 caliber rifle.

either way the axis is like $380 with the "scope". I really consider that cheap for all the good reviews I have read.

Hmmm, nice suggestions made earlier. Personally, I'd go for a .308, instead of a .223. LOL, of course a .223 will kill a deer. A fellow member of our private range has hunted deer with a 22 hornet for about 30 years. Of course the distance he shoots is limited to 75 yds max, but a nice neck or head shot does the trick for him.

As to what brand to buy, while the line of Marlin X rifles was discontinued a couple of months ago by the owners of Marlin in favor of their Remington 770 and 783 rifles, I'd add a Marlin XS7 308 to your list for consideration. Own 4 Marlin X rifles in various cartridges. All shot quite accurate out of the box. Stock on the X is nothing to brag about, but very functional for hunting. Has a decent adjustable trigger too.

You could get 2 Ruger americans for under $ 1,000.

And,probably 1 scope.

The Ruger American 223 comes with a 1 in 8 twist barrel,and shoots the heavies very well.

The new Sierra tipped matchkings seem pretty tough for a 22 bullet,I wouldn't be afraid to take on deer with them.

i would recommend the savage 114/14 line or the stainless 16/116 line. with that budget no need to even talk about a axis.

I second the Model 70 IMO best bolt action ever made. I have 2 and my other rifles barely get touched since I brought those home.

If you don't have any hunting rifles then I followed this formula:

If you are going to buy two rifles and assuming you have a .22 LR
1st rifle - .30-06 or similar, so in your case the .308
2nd rifle - .223 Rem or similar.

If you are going to buy only one rifle:
.270 or .243

If you are going to buy three rifles:
.300 Win Mag or similar
.308 or similar
.243 or similar

I went with a Browning BAR Safari II in .30-06 and a CZ 527 Varmint in .223 REM.

The 223 is not enough for deer. It's not even legal in some states because it's a small weak round designed to wound the enemy.

The 308 is a superb cartridge but big for chuck hunting ricochet wise.

The 243 will do it.

Back