Best Cheap Pistol I've Seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt. John Park

Dear Friends,

A few months ago, I wanted to buy an "extra" pistol. Maybe to let a friend borrow, maybe for the glove box. Just a spare. But for that role, I didn't want to spend much.

I bought a Taurus 908 9mm at a gun show for $230. It is a single-stack DA/SA, capacity 8+1. After shooting it a few times, I love it!!!

Push the safety down to de-cock, up to lock, Hi-Power style. You can carry it cocked and locked like a Browning if you are comfortable with that. I am carrying de-cocked and locked.

It is compact and slim, and fits great in my medium-sized hands.

Best of all, for some reason I have done the best shooting of my life with it!

It is out of production now, having been replaced by a 10+1 model called the 911. So you'll have to find it used.

Oh, lefties, the safety/de-cocker is ambi.

JP

Isn't that all that really matters? This gun is perfect for you! It's accurate, reliable and a great gun all around. Congrats on your purchase!

I have a friend that feels the same way. He likes it very much, got it cheap and shoots well with it. In fact he says that it is so much better than his Glock 19 that he sold the Glock. This is now his primary gun and he carries it concealed too.

Cool, I've always liked Taurus handguns- they
make great firearms and are very reasonable in price and the 908 is no exception- good
pick, enjoy it.

Under $200 guns that are still good.

A police turn in S&W mod 65
Makarov (East German)
Astra Firecat
Star Firestar (look hard)
Arcus 9mm
Kel-Tec

Uh, Martin,

That's no coincidence. It's me.

JP

------------------
Nehemiah 4:18 " ... and each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked."

The FireStar is a neat littel pistol - wish I still had mine... Heck - I wish I had all the guns I used to have!

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Captain, It's you! I had no idea! I have not seen you since we did time in Huntsville. Captain John Park is so not descriptive of you. I was thinking more like "mild mannered rural man with large head who digs water wells in his garage"

It isn't a centerfire, but the Ruger 22/45 is my top choice for best value. I also agree with the Firestar as being a real good value, but like Jeff says, look hard.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net

I agree, the Star Firestar is a great pistol. My friend bought one as his first serious handgun, and I have tried to talk him out of it a bunch of times. He only paid 239 bucks and it is a Firestar Plus hi cap. I also agree about the KelTec products. Great guns. On the .22 side, the Phoenix HP-22 is wonderful. The HP-22 was my first firearm (1995) and I still have it. Their service is great should you ever need it. I paid 100 bucks for mine, and I don't think the prices have gone up much since I bought mine.

------------------
You can never have too much ammo!---- Me (being a role model to my 5 year old)

I like my $200.00 Star Model A 9mm Largo, Spanish air Force issue. It is patterned after the 45 and is even easier to field strip. Very smooth action and the round is plenty powerful. CCI ammo is very accurate and powwerful . You cant go wrong with a Star pistol.

bought a almost new ruger security sig 4in 357mag revolver for 200.00 only 100 rounds fired. I think this was a geat buy. The gun feel very soild and strong.
what do you guys think?

Let me tell ya about the star...

I bought one of these for $500 thinking it was rare and a decent finish. After about 500 rounds the starvel finish started wearing off and it started to misfire. come to find out the firing pin was broke and the starvel finish was crap. dont even bother with this piece or trash. get a keltec and be happy. i sold mine for $300 to an idiot and got a new stereo for my car. the firestar was almost as powerful.

------------------
TIM : )

I have an HP22 also. I got it when I was at the range and brought some friends. We were one gun less than people, so I grabbed it for $89 :) I have put about 3000+ rd through and the mag catch is needing replacement but :) been great :)

The best cheap pistol is Mak in 9x18.
NIB for $150-160, and you do not need
to spend even one cent more to make it
work. AK-47 of the pistol world...

The best cheap auto pistol I bought was the Star Firestar in 9mm.I bought it at a gun show for $180. Could have bought the same gun in stainless the next week at another show for $190. I'm sorry I didn't. They were both NIB. It seems to be well built and is a good shooter. I just bought one of those CZ50's. It seems well built it shoots where you want it but it has feed problems and jams. i think my next cheapie will be a MAK.
What's the best one to buy. I was looking at an E.German. Any thoughts?

------------------
gun control is people control

Another vote for NIB Makarov (9x18)

The S&W Victory model in .38/200 (.38s&w) is also a good choice if you like wheel guns.

as for the odd I have a fondness in my heart for my Astra 400 (model 1921) in 9Largo

and for max weird there is always the Russian Nagant Revolver loaded with 32S&W long

I vote for the Makarov. My East German Makarov in 9x18mm cost $178.00 (delivered). It doesn't jam, looks good. The Bulgarian (equal reliability to the German) Makarov's can be had for $129 (plus shipping and tax). If I hadn't blown a head gasket and water pump, I'd have one or two Bulgarians to add to my collection ("So, do you want to talk to my German friend or my Bulgarian friend?")

I've flamed Taurus revolvers in the past (for being pale comparisons to S&W), but their pistols are a different matter. Taurus seems to have done quite well in their pistol designs and have been quite innovative in their own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back