Best cheap bolt action rifle in .22lr

mic007tfp

Just as the header says, I was wondering what the best cheap yet accurate bolt action rifles there were. I was looking at Ruger, but their .22lr bolt action was in the $450 range. Does anyone have experience with the bolt action Savages, Marlins, or others?

Good evening Mic007tfp,

I don't know what you mean by cheap or good,
but I recommend looking around at the gun shows for a used gun. There are plenty of Remington 500 series, Winchester 69 and 75, and guns like that. They are not collectors items yet (esp. the Remingtons) but are good solid guns and better made than anything today for under $400.

Savage/Stevens/Springfield, Marlin and Mossberg are all good possibilities and still very inexpensive in used guns.

Jim

The Norinco 22, that is similar to the BRNO, costs less than $150 and is highly accurate.

Well worth trying.

RonR

By all means look at the Marlin Rifles. They have some superior .22 in the below $200 range.

I have 2 myself. An old one in mint condition that my father bought before I was born (I'm 34). It's still a tack driver. My second Marlin is an 883SS - .22 magnum. Bothe rifles are tubular magazine feeds. When shooting .22LR it will hold about 18 rounds. The magnum will hold 12. A real nice 22" "microgroove" barrel for those accurate shots. Good luck.

CMOS

I just don't think that you can beat the Marlin!!!

They are great guns for a low price. I have one in .22 WRM that is great.

Even if money wasn't an object I would still be hard pressed to pick any other manufacturer when it comes to a standard .22 rifle.

I really love the Remmingtons, but I really don't see the need to spend the extra money unless you just want to do so.

------------------
"God grants liberty only to those who love it and are always ready to guard and defend it." --Daniel Webster

Count another vote for the Marlin line. I have a semi auto M#60. I wasn't really happy with the look of the rifle at first... It's not short either...

BUT MAN, CAN IT SHOOT! For stock out of the box, it's awesome. Now that it comes to mind, I think my Marlin 39a lever action was a hot shooter too.

Check em out...
PS - Mine was under $160 including tax and NICS... A buddy grabbed 3 at a pawn shop for $180 out the door! (between $50/$60 each!)

[This message has been edited by Patrick Seeber (edited August 06, 1999).]

Marlin. I've had a MDL25 for ten years and it was probably twenty years old when I got it, shoots great and cost eighty bucks with a scope on it already. I've put thousands of rounds through it and never had a problem of any kind. Like it so much I bought a MDL 883 when I wanted a .22Mag.

------------------
TJS

Cheap is a relative term. Around here the rifle you are looking at is considerbly cheaper at the gun shows.

A Marlin 39A is a real sleeper in 22lr rifle. Because it is a lever action, people sell them cheap used. Find an old one without the safety and buy it! Those older Marlin's are great shooters. Expect to pay around $100 to $150 for a good clean one.

A Kimber 22lr is a sweet gun but, in the same price range of that Ruger you mention. It is a better rifle though...

Just because the bullets are smaller doesn't mean it costs less to make the rifle (in general) so, realize that when you pay $100 or $200 or $300 for the rifle, you are getting what you pay for. That said, there are a lot of good 22lr rifles along the lines of a Marlin model 60 or Ruger 10/22 that serve millions of people very well.

Sid

Back