best cape&ball revolver for a beginner

agent00

Hi, its me again and I want to start shooting a bp revolver. But what model would be the best for a beginner. I would like to buy a colt dragoon, because I like to look of the gun. But is that revolver sutiable for a a beginner? Or would it be better to start with the colt 1860 army or with the remington 1858?:confused:

Last edited:
If you think you would like a dragoon, then a dragoon would be "best" for you! In a little while, another model will be best. Like Smoke said, the Remington is a good model. So is the Colt army. The 1851 navy is cool. Have you seen that LeMat?
Seriously, more important than model is quality. Due to a recent example I bought, I would tell you not to buy anything made by Palmetto. The one I was sent shows they have ZERO quality control. You may get a good one by chance but that's what it will be, chance. Uberti has a good product, as does Pietta. Again as Smoke said, read around the threads here and you can decide a littlt better. And, you might want to buy PERCUSSION PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS. That book will be a great help.

Steve

By all means, buy Percussion Pistols and Revolvers.

The short, smart answer would be to pick a Colt Army, or 51/61 Navy or a Remington 58/63. A few years ago, these were the only choices because you were more likely to be able to find spare parts for these than any of the others. Those revolvers are probably still the best choice for most but things have changed a bit. The Dragoons and other designs are now supported by good parts availability. If a person really likes the Dragoon design, there is no reason not to go ahead and get one- then order some extra springs and lock parts from VTI gunparts or Cimarron Arms --etc.

A lot of people think the Dragoon is the prettiest of the open-top designs and it does have an interesting depth of history behind it. It is also a pleasure to work with - take apart for cleaning and maintenance because the screws and other parts are so huge.

Back