Best caliber for So. Carolina deer?

NHSHOOTER

Heading to So. Carolina for my third year of deer huntin, I am bringing a younger hunter with me, I am 60 he is maybe 25 and very new to hunting, (went deer hunting here in NH last season for the the first time). He is looking to purchase a new rifle and asked what caliber I would suggest, I have my own favorites, just looking for your input. We will be stand hunting, average shots 150 yds and I doubt any over 200.

My father moved to Columbia, SC a decade ago and the first thing he noticed was how small the deer were compared to the ones here in NYS- especially the corn fed farm deer here in Western NY.

He is perfectly happy with a .243 win rifle and 95gr ballsitic tips for SC deer.
I am sure you'd do well with it or any similar cartridge- 257 roberts, 260 rem, 7mm-08, etc.

You certainly don't need a .30-06 for 100 pound deer.

I'd go with the 7mm08 since it sounds like he may be hunting larger Northern deer in the future.

It will give performance nearly identical to a 270, but with less recoil.

Bullets from 120-140 grains are ideal.

Anything Centerfire. 24 cal and up. Depends on the shooter, what they can handle and are comfortable with. The only thing that will be considered from cartridge to cartridge is effective range (where amd what type of terrain is being hunted, distance etc) , which is a part of hunting any way. Pick the right tool for the job. There is no one "Best" Cartridge.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

He will need to decide for himself.
Too may ways to go here for good advice unless we could set down for some time and get to know the man a bit.
Is he left or right handed?

He can choose:
An auto
A bolt action
A lever action
A pump action.
A single shot.
A muzzleloader.

In autos he can go with the Remington 742 or the Browning BAR or can go with a military style rifle in 6.5 Grendal, 6.8 SPC, 300 BO 458 SOCOM, 50 Beowulf, or 243, 260, 7.08, 308, 338 fed or 358 Win. Or use an M-1 Garand in 30-06
Bolt actions can be had from Savage, Thompson Center, Mossberg, Remington, Ruger, Winchester, CZ, TIKKA, SAKO, Howa, Weatherby, Browning, and then you can throw in military surplus arms that are still 100% serviceable and in some cases, as accurate as some modern arms. These include Mausers, Mosin/Nagants, Springfields, Enfields Swiss T Bolts, Carcanos, Jap 6.5 and 7.7s, and a few others, an they are available in calibers from 6.5MM to 8MM in metric calibers, and also in 30-06, 308, 303 British and 30-40 Krag.

Lever actions are available from Henry, Marlin, Winchester, Browning and a few importers of "cowboy guns" in 357 mag, 44 mag, 45 Colt, 30-30 30-06, 270, 260, 7-08, 308, and a few others too, and if you go to the used market it opens up a lot more with 30-40 Krag, 307 Win, 356 Win, 32 Special, and a lot of old black-powder shells from 38 to 50 caliber.

Pump.......the Remington 760 is the only one he can get new. Available in various chamberings from 243 to 35 Whelen in both 06 and 308 lengths.

Single shots are available in break actions and falling blocks from New England Arms, Rossi, Ruger Sharps, Winchester and Brownings. Chambered in a lot of shells from 243 to 500 Nitro.

Muzzleloaders can be had as modern inlines and of course, custom made rifles that have no limits on the way you want one made. There are also good "traditional sidelock rifles" made my Layman, and Traditions and Thompson Center.

That was a very fast and incomplete overview of the choices he has.

But no mater what he buys, it is only 2% as important as how well he learns to shoot it and how well he learns to hunt. That's 98% of the equation.

A 243 with todays bullets is as big as anyone needs for any deer in this country at any reasonable range. Actually even at unreasonable ranges. After that it is purely personal preference, there are guys who hunt 100 lb deer with elephant guns just because they like the rifles.

Anything in 6.5mm, 257, 7mm, 270, or any of the non magnum 30's would be more versatile if larger game is a possibility later without being excessive on deer.

In short, there is no "best". Pick the one you like. But based on light recoil, ammo availability and price, performance on game, and accuracy 243 is a good place to start.

We will be stand hunting, average shots 150 yds and I doubt any over 200

Anything 24 and up, as mentioned. Most hunt clubs have stand locations set where success rate is pretty high.

There isn't really a wrong answer. It all depends on what he wants. I've hunted SC for over 20 years and I've used .270, .30-06, 7-08, 12ga, and .50 cal ML. My son will be using a 6.8spc in an AR this year. I'm probably going to carry a .454 SRH, .303 Enfield or Garand.

He would be best served to decide on action type first and then find one in an acceptable caliber.

FWIW, some of the deer here are small but bucks weighing 150 lbs or more are not rare. I've killed does that weighed 120.

Thank you all for the replies, I have hunted in SC that last 2 seasons and killed deer with both 7-08 and 243, all with 1 shot kills. I agree with no matter what he decides on he will get plenty of practice before we head down the last week of October. Good luck and good hunting

NOPE!! Nothing but small deer here in SC. Ya'll go on back up North with your short seasons low bag limits and giant deer now ya hear. [emoji2] Here is one of the puny deer we kill down here in South Kakalaki. This is my hero, my mentor, my Pops with a 210lb bruiser he took down with a No. 4 Mk 1 Enfield
.303 with my 150gr reloads. He was DRT when pops dropped the hammer on ole W.W. (whitetail widow maker) [emoji2]
23a4510ac245bd61c24e9ae1e2511d76.jpg

Last edited:
I use a 30-06 in sc but that much gun isn't needed. I have a 30-30 as well, but it can be range limiting over fields.

Anything legal center fire will work with good shot placement. I wouldn't use .22lr but it is legal on private land last time I looked.

Hey Deerslayer, If you are over in Batesburg leesville, That is where I will be staying when I come down in october, do you know a guy name Fred? I have to agree about the 7-08, great caliber and in a model 7 rem, great to carry around.

Last edited:
Yep right here in the big twin Cities of Batesburg Leesville lol. I know a couple guys named Fred. Welcome to SC NHShooter, I hope your hunt is Successful. Git you one of them big ole SWAMP DONKEYS!! But Shhhh dont tell to many, let em keep thinking the deer are tiny, anemic, and starving. [emoji23] Good Luck to ya!!

I've killed a dump truck load of deer in Sakkerliner with a 7mm08. Killed another with a .243 and .308. Near, far and in between. Killed a bunch of hogs with all of them too. No need to complicate it.

To mee the perfect Southeastern deer cartridge is the 7mm08. More important in these parts is your optics. Low light optics are necessary.

Best caliber for So. Carolina deer?

Comment is not about my preferred. Its about your 25 yr. old hunting friend. And for his use..

Caliber & action type?

Depends on the average size & weight of the animal hunted.
Depends on the hunting tatics used.
Depends on the type of terrain.
Depends on one's capability (open sights or scope preference?)
Depends on the individuals stature (size)

Then again I've never set foot in So. Carolina for a look see. Just saying a 300 win mag is likely to much cartridge and a 22 Hornet to little cartridge. Something in-between?
I flipped a quarter in your friends behalf. H-270 / T-308. ~~~~Turned up 308. ___Great!! You'll friend sure is lucky tonight _.;)

There are to many to mention, so I'd look at it from a practical perspective.

He is 25 and has no rifle suitable for deer, so I'm going to make all kinds of guesses.

He probably does not shoot a lot.
He will probably be using factory ammo.
He probably has little, if any, hunting experience.
Other larger game is probably not immediately on the horizon.
He is probably not swimming in cash.

I'd be looking for something that is practical, inexpensive, and easy to find inexpensive ammo for. Chances are that if he later becomes a die hard avid hunter, whatever he buys today won't be his dream rifle anyways.

If it were me, I'd probably be looking at a production line bolt gun in .308 Win. For 150 yards or less, I'd consider staying with open sights if vision is good. I'd probably go with an inexpensive low magnification scope with MY vision today. Lots of guys on a budget got started with SKS when they were cheap. 7 and 8mm Mausers, .303, and other old military guns can be inexpensive choices as well, and the neat thing about that stuff is you can get your money back if you sell it later to upgrade.

I could be all wrong on my assumptions, but I've seen a lot of people lay down a ton of cash for equipment they thought they needed to give hunting a try, only to take a huge loss on it later when they decided they didn't like it as much as they thought they did. Costs can also be very discouraging when they think they need a lot more than they really do.

Back