best bullet weight for Rem. 700 SPS AAC-SD .308

Which weight, brand, and style do you get your best accuracy with? Thanks!

• 168 GRN.

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • 175-178 GRN.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 180 GRN. or more

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

p5200

I'm just looking for the weight and even style, most of you are getting your best accuracy with Thanks for voting! :)

How about "None of the above". I will show my ignorance and admitt I am not aware what "AAD-SC", refers to. But as a woods crawling rifleman , my 700 sps .308win. likes Hornady 150gr SST's. Zero'ed at 150yd, they pretty much own anthing in the first 3 to 400yds. After that I just spend more time getting closer.
G

Most 308 target rifles shoot best with something in the 165-168 gr range. 168's are usually a bit more aerodynamic and many are designed for target shooting. I tend to use the 150 SST's for hunting as well, but for pure accuracy I've found the 168's are usually a bit more accurate.

Never used them, but some guys swear by the 155 gr. Scenar bullet for both target and hunting. It is not designed for hunting, but I cannot argue with the success some have had with it at extreme ranges.

I voted for 168 Gr.

The AAC SD has a 1:10 twist barrel, at 20". 168 will be great. Depends on what you want to do with the rifle though. For hunting, the 168 Gr Match bullets are not ideal. For target, and long range, stick with match bullets if you can.

I used t use 168 Gr Hornady's, but switched to 175 Gr Sierra Matchkings. I get slightly better accuracy, better ballistic coefficient, which matters for me in F-class and longer ranges.

Do you handload? Recommend you consider it if you do not. You can absolutely save a ton over factory match ammo, even with good components.

I use Lapua brass (expensive), Federal 210M primers (expensive), and of course 175 Matchkings (expensive, and sometimes hard to find) and I still beat the best deals on factory match.

Right now I have some Hornady 168grn. A-Max and plan to start working up a load using Varget for starters when my loading dies get here supposedly, tomorrow. I also plan to upgrade to a Timney trigger later. Thanks! :)

Varget...Great choice. Varget is the only powder I have ever used in .308. When I first started loading, a very experienced long range shooter told me that of all the powders he had tried for.308, Varget has the smallest standard deviation by far.

Really hard to beat Varget.

Each rifle is and individual and as such will prefer one style or weight bullet. You will have to find out which one is best for YOUR rifle by trial.

^^ X2

My son's .308 far prefers the heavier 175 SMK over the 168.
Try them both (with load workup of course).

The 175's with their better BC have an advantage at longer range as well.

The SMK's are the most widely used- and most successful in comps- commercial bullet.

For us, and many others, Varget is the powder of choice for the .308.
43.5 under the 175 works best for us. YMMV.

gkdir said:
my 700 sps .308win. likes Hornady 150gr SST's.

+1 on the 150 grain Hornady SST. My 700 ADL likes them a lot, but my son's Savage loves them.

308%2B03.jpg

That's some good shooting! I have a 10fp in .223 which shoots quite well also. I received the .308 Forster dies today and plan to try 42grs. of Varget under the Hornady 168grn. A-Max for starters. I think my Hornady 8th edition lists around 43.6grns. as the max someone correct me if wrong. All load suggestions are welcome. Thanks Folks! :)

I voted for 175-178 to even up the score; in reality, my SPS 20" with a 1:12 twist shoots both 168 and 175 SMK at 1/2MOA. Still dialing in the 175.

Back