Best bullet for short range deer hunting?

ReloadKy

The ares that I do my deer hunting is way up on top of a really brushy knob. The farthest I would ever shoot would be about 100 yards. Based on the experience of the people in forum what is the best option for a bullet that is going to be flying really fast upon impact in terms of providing a killer blood trail and quick expiration of the deer? I had thoughts about Nosler partitions or accubonds but have no experience with them. I will either be hunting with a 7 mag or a 30-06 up on that knob if that information helps anyone with suggestions. Thanks to all!!

One thing for sure, shooting a 7 mag that close, you better have a dang good bullet. I would use a partition in either one of them. Personally, when I am in those circumstances, I would drag out one of the 30-30s. Not much bloodshot meat with that one. Nosler even makes a round nose partition specifically for the 30-30.

If you can make a 2 MOA shot at 100 yards then most any caliber bigger than a .22 will work fine.

I'm really hoping you handload!!

For the 06' i'd use IMR4350 with a 165gr Nosler Balistic Tip. Don't worry about tracking.

For the 7mm Rem Mag, i'd try to slow it down. Maybe IMR4831 with a 150gr Ballistic Tip.

Winchester 150g soft point, 30-06. 100yd.
Do not like Deer Season as they fragment too much n masses up a lot of meat.

I have no experience with other brands so cannot make recommendations . But I've used Remington Core-lokts for over 1/2 a century, it gets the job done.

It's not about the distance. It's about velocity. Any 150 grain SP or, preferably, a 165 grain SP out of a .30-06. You do not need a high priced premium bullet like any No$ler.
Any 165 grain hunting bullet out of a .30-06 will kill any game in North America with no fuss. The brand makes no difference. Partial to IMR4064 myself.
There's no game in North America that requires a Magnum of any kind to kill. Including big bear.
The "on top of a really brushy knob" part will matter too. That's about where you aim not the bullet though.

Typical T Oheir reply, yet again he doesnt think anybody should use what they actually have because its way too much overkill, no need for quality components, cartridge or rifle.
Everything falls like a brick,,, yada yada....
Myself Id use the 06 for that work with a Sierra SBT in 165 at 2800 fps or so, should plunk right through those deer easily.

Honestly, with either caliber, pick a bullet weight from the mid to slightly heavy area for caliber. I've always considered the 165gr in 30 caliber to be about optimum especially for a 30'06. Running around 2800fps it doesn't need to be a premium brand.

The 7 mag is about the same, using a 150-160gr bullet will easily put meat in your freezer. For years I used the 162gr Hornady for deer and hogs at ranges from 25yds out to past 350. Sometimes you just can't predict where something will walk out but you can try for minimal damage by holding off major bone.

I'm in the process now of working on a 150'ish grain load for mine. Just wanted something different from my 7 STW which I've been using up a supply of factory loaded 150gr Nosler Solid Base. They leave the muzzle at 3250fps and to date haven't messed up anything worse than anything else I've hunted with.

Find something that shoots well and put your bullets where they should go and you're in business.

If you want a blood trail, you want penetration, because holes on both sides will bleed out more and faster. At 100 yards, you don't need to worry about velocity, because you wont have any drop to worry about. I would use the heaviest bullet in either cartridge, and no need for a premium bullet. A 175 gr 7 mag or a 220 gr 30-06 will kill quickly, ruin less meat than a faster lighter bullet, and penetrate completely from just about any angle.

You asked,,,,

" what is the best option for a bullet that is going to be flying really fast upon impact in terms of providing a killer blood trail and quick expiration of the deer?"

That's an easy one. The bullet that's the most accurate! Find out what your gun likes and stick with it. Any 150-160-180Gr bullet put in the right place will work!

If its not accurate,,,,why shoot it?

Last edited:
If 100 yards is your max, I'm with the mamba:

Go with a heavy for caliber flat base round nose bullet to minimize meat loss.

Yeah, I'd probably go with a 175 grain round-nose-soft-point, throttled back to 7mm Mauser performance. For full-power loads, I believe that caliber is best suited to spitzer bullets of about 160 grains or so. But you have a special situation there that you can tailor a special load for. By using round-nose bullets you will never confuse that special load with a longer range loading. That's part of the beauty of handloading; making ammo for a specific situation.

"Yeah, I'd probably go with a 175 grain round-nose-soft-point, throttled back to 7mm Mauser performance. For full-power loads, I believe that caliber is best suited to spitzer bullets of about 160 grains or so. But you have a special situation there that you can tailor a special load for. By using round-nose bullets you will never confuse that special load with a longer range loading. That's part of the beauty of handloading; making ammo for a specific situation."

Not too many choices for round nose 175 gr. bullets these days. Hornady has dropped them. Dunno when Speer dropped theirs and Sierra quit their 170 gr. RN a long time ago. I called them and asked and they said there were no plans to ever bring the bullet back. It would take an awful lot of people requesting it for then to tool up.
AFAIK, about the only ones available now are from Privi Partisan (173 gr.) or Woodleigh. (175 gr.)
The beancounters have struck again. I got lucky and found a few of the Sierras for use in my 7x57 but have not seen any Hornady's for a while. Best way I would imagine is put a want to put ad in this and other forums to see if anyone wants to part with some.
Paul B.

Last deer season I loaded 140 gr SGK for the 7 Mag and 165 Nosler ballistic tips for the 30-06. Unfortunately I never saw anything that I wanted to shoot so I did not get to determine bullet on game performance. Seems to be a pretty fair consensus that my 06 load is fine and that I should bump up the bullet weight in the the 7 mag a bit.

Most standard bullets don't hold together well with impact speeds over 2800 fps. 180's out of a 30-06 start at around 2700-2850 depending on the load. The heavier 7mm bullets should be close.

If you want to shoot a lighter bullet closer to 3000 fps then it is time to look at premium bonded or solid copper bullets.

You don't need or want RN bullets

Back