best budget optic for long range shooting

litenite99

looking for opinions on best budget optic for long range shooting i prefer variable power but for the right price a fixed optic would do. mil/mil or moa/moa is fine i dont have a preference ive used both. 1,000 and under is the area im looking for.

Sightron s2 big sky or the s3 series. Best way is to compare but I prefer them way more than vortex (unless it's the razor hd but that's considerably above your stated budget)

You've had some good suggestions. I have some Vortex optics and they are very good glass. The SWFA scopes are very good, too. I have a fixed 10x rear focus model that has been a workhorse. It has been on several rifles and has stood up to quite a bit of abuse, including my M1A, which will make short work of less robust optics. If you're shooting out to a grand, be sure the scope you buy has enough elevation to get you there.

I've heard nothing but good reviews on the SWFA scopes but I've never actually got to use one. I went with the Vortex Viper PST 6-24 with illuminated EBR-2c reticle in MRAD. I'm very happy with it, it tracks well and has good clarity.

im looking into everything mentioned at the moment. The range i shoot at only goes to 600yrds. The vortex amd swa look nice and ive never heard of sightron optics before. one that i havent seen mentioned on here and have seen some reviews on is primary arms. ive seen they make a 4-14x42 ffp mil/mil that runs close to 300 i think. anyone know anything about that one?

Never heard of primary arms but if it's not a known name or is cheap with seemingly good specs then don't bother with it. You'll end up wasting your money. I think one of the most important things about a scope are how well it tracks mechanically and how repeatable said mechanics are. Nearly all cheap scopes fail in this area. Swfa FIXED power is good, not sure about their variable. Also not sure about the viper PST having had no experience but I can vouch for the sightron s3. Optical clarity (which is near the bottom on my scale of importance) is slightly better to my eye to my Kahles Helia.

You've done well to insist on mil/mil or moa/moa but you'll need very precise tracking to learn effectively for long range shooting - else you'll never know if misses are you or the scope

I wanted a good quality scope for hunting and target shooting, and I decided to go with FFP and Mil/Mil. Also to be factored in was weight, lighter being better. After much study on the subject, I went with the Vortex Viper PST 4-16 FFP. I think that for under $1000, the Vortex Viper PST FFP scopes are the best scope choice. If a heavier scope is Ok with you, the SWFA scopes supposedly have better glass and a slightly higher price (last time I looked).

The glass in my Vortex isn't quite as good as what's in my Leupold VX3 scopes, but it's plenty good enough for me. I took a VX3 off of my 260 when I put the Vortex on it, with the thought that I could swap them if the Vortex didn't impress me. The Vortex remains on the rifle. Other than the illumination being too bright, I have no complaints about the Vortex.

Back