best brand of round balls

playtheblues

Hi Folks,

For those of you who don't cast your own, which brand lead balls do you prefer? Who do you recommend ordering them from for best price/service? .451 or .454 for my Pietta 1851 44?
Bill in SC

.454's are pretty universal in that for the most part they'll fit most .44 caliber C&B revolvers where as there are a few that may not take the .451.

Speer & Hornady are 2 brands that have been around for a long time & both make a very good product, I've only used Hornady .457's "when some one want's to buy me a Birthday gift, don't they know I make my own :rolleyes: why not a subscription to Bowhunter or Muzzloader magazine :cool:" Sorry, & they shoot quite well for me.

This guy has the best prices around IMO on purchasing Cast Balls/Bullets.

I also like Track of the Wolf for their reliability & service & they do carry Hornady Balls & Bullets.

.454's are pretty universal in that for the most part they'll fit most .44 caliber C&B revolvers where as there are a few that may not take the .451.
Speer & Hornady are 2 brands that have been around for a long time & both make a very good product,
This guy has the best prices around IMO on purchasing Cast Balls/Bullets.

+1. For store bought balls - I much prefer the Horandy swaged roundballs over the Speer variety. bpstuff has good balls at a great price & quick delivery. His wads a pretty nice too.

I used to buy from 'The Cheap Shot Store' on ebay. He had the best prices around. I'm afraid he might have gone out of business though. BP stuff has good prices, but 100 .454's at $8 becomes $19 with shipping.:(

I've shot both Hornady and Speer in rifles and couldn't tell any significant difference; I'd say the brand of ball has far less effect than using the proper patch, seating consistency, etc.

I doubt you'll notice any diff at all in a sixgun, where whatever ball you use gets swaged to chamber mouth diameter during the loading process.

I get my rbs from sportsmans werehouse till i get to
casting my owen rbs they are about 11 bucks per 100
thats for 454 rbs, i like hornady and speer, i shoot them
in my 58 cap and ball with real bp and i load them for my
conversion cylinder 45 colt, i found that loading rbs in a
45 colt case they shoot really good, so now i am going
to get some 430 Dia rbs for my 44 spl saa.:cool::D

Back