Best brand of #11 percussion cap?

marcseatac

I was wondering if I might save myself some time trying them all. I tried the CCI #11 magnums in my Great Plains rifle and had a few fail to fire on the first try. Using the set trigger then pulling the trigger is mostly when this occured. They would go off if I just used the main trigger.

What is the best cap for a caplock?

I had the best luck with Remington primers on my BP rifles and pistols. CCI aare a little harder and don't always fire in my guns.

When I first started muzzle loading, I thought that RWS was among the best and they were even sold at K-Mart. But they became expensive and harder to find, and won't fit into my TC capper either.
I stocked up on a lot of older Remington Goldens and they've always worked just fine (but you have to use #10's to fit #11 nipples). I also use CVA Hot Flash that were sold in a tan colored tin on a hang card, and which look exactly like CCI's with the orange primer material. The only major difference between them and CCI is that they actually work each and every time! :)
The newer Remington Greens also seem to work great, which is a big difference from their rimfire ammo primers where they're reputed to have a higher percentage of misfires! :D

Last edited:
Last time i checked, Remington percussion caps were not available from any distributor and midway had dropped them from the catalog. There has been a persistent rumor that remington has stopped making percussion caps altogether. RWS has been available from Dixie. CCI's are hard to set off but it usually helps to use a dowell and a lot of pressure to seat them on the cone. Gun should be pointed down range and bystanders warned as there is a chance of setting them off while doing this.

I just bought a tin of CCI#11 that were small - too small, more like a #10. I bought a bunch of Remington #11 at Walmart - perfect fit.

In my experience, CCI #11 caps are slightly smaller than Remington #10 caps. The CCI #11s take a bit of force to seat on the nipples of my Old Army. The Remington #10s fit perfectly.
I learned that after purchasing 1000 CCI #11s. Oh, well. I have an extra set of nipples I can turn down to fit them. :)

Dixie Gunworks called me today: due to limited supply can only ship 1 package of German caps (at a time). I told them to cancel the order. You would pay hazmat fee, shipping and only end up with 100 caps. They must be pretty good caps!

On two occasions, I have ordered one tin of caps from DGW. One was to try out the rws and the other to get some musket caps. HAZMAT was not charged for either order. I just ran through an order for rws caps stopping before confirming the order. No mention of hazmat fee was included in the total.

I think maybe a small order of caps just may fall underneath the hazmat threshold.

I just bought some of these locally. Unlimited supply, at $7 a pop. It's a magnum rifle cap. The RWS 1050 is their pistol cap. For my GPR they sound like the perfect cap.

Thanks for the info, I just went to Dixie and ordered a tin of the Remington #10's. Again they will only ship 1 tin. Cabelas still has them in the 1000 packs but with the Hazmat fee. I hate to get that many, takes too long to shoot them up!

I like the Remington 10's, feel naked not having any in my ML ammo box.:)

Back