Best bore scrubber

Remington kid

When scrubbing the bore of my black powder guns I use Flitz and it works great but does anyone know of anything that may work better? I'm not one to keep up with new products for that kind of stuff but thought maybe some of you would know what's best. Thanks, Mike

Try mixing up equal parts Murphy oil soap, alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide. Plug the nipple/flash hole and pour the barrel full of this mixture. Wait about 5-8 minutes, pour it out, run clean patches through till dry, then a light coat of your favorite oil. Done.
P.S. If the barrel is really dirty, expect lots of foam out of the muzzle and stay close by with a rag. If the stuff sits on your wood for too long, it might discolor it some.

Spritz bore with moosemilk (9:1 Ballistol:water), wipe with moosemilked patch on a sub-caliber brush til clean, dry, coat with Ballistol. Wallah! Clean bore in one minute. Doin' it that way for two years, no rust, no foul.

All I ever use is scalding hot dish/soap water, let sit, scrub, then scalding hot clean rinse water. Hold with a glove(very hot)wipe and patches down the bore. The heated metal drys the parts after wiping down. Sometimes oven dry @ 170 degrees. Then lube...
I do believe my lube pills help a great deal in the cleaning up. Swear by them.

Another vote for super hot water and plain ole soap. Never takes me more than about 5 minutes to get a barrel clean and another 2 or 3 to dry.

I agree Flitz is a polish and a bit much for a muzzleloader or any gun barrel. Well at least the bore is lapped good!!!

Hot water,windex,windshield washer fluid,bore cleaner,all work well.
The bore don't need to be "scrubbed', just cleaned.

Back