Best BHP recoil buffer?

HankB

Many 1911's now come with recoil buffers, usually taking the form of an internal polymer washer, to cushion the impact of the slide on the frame.

I've been considering installing something similar in my BHP as round count increases, just to extend the pistol's service life.

Looks like there's a simple washer from Buffer Technologies (though it costs 10X what 1911 buffers cost, and supposedly has to be replaced frequently). Then there are more elaborate setups from Sprinco and Shock-Tec.

Has anyone used any of these? And if so, what are your impresssions?

Hello. I use the Buffer Technology product and have had no problems. The only "downside" is that when new, one cannot lock the slide back with the thumb safety for removing the slide/bbl assembly. I use it in conjunction with a Wolff conventional 18.5 lb recoil spring. They do last a long time.

I'm told they are better now, but I tried the Sprinco a couple of years ago and was thoroughly disappointed in fit and function.

Best.

The ONLY reliability problems I have had, with a 1911, came from using a shok-buff! When I threw that thing away, the gun was totally reliable! If you need one to protect the frame, you're probably using loads that are really unsafe.

I had a Shock-tec in my C&S BHP. C&S also uses a heavy 18.5lb. recoil spring. I had malfunctions every 50 rounds or so until I removed the shock-tec. Now the BHP is 100% with the stock recoil spring guide.
I did find the Shock tec reduced the wiggle and rattle common in BHP's

Never used any kind of a buffer on my BHP Mrk-3. However I replaced the recoil spring to a stiffer (18.5 lb)than the original one and the guide road to a SHOCK TECK, about 2 years ago.
Haven't had any problem/jam ever since. (neither had before replacing)
After inserting the ShockTec I could have noticed, for sure, some reduction of the pistol's recoil.

I have Sprinco's in all my BHP's whether 9mm or .40 as well as in my CZ. They work great and do away with the slide to frame battering. You get to use a light spring as well reducing the impact of the slide being driven home. I use the spring from the .40 in the 9mm as well because my pistols are tightly fitted and need a little extra push to lock up.

Back