best bet for $$ & decent .22LR semi auto w/ folding stock?

riffraff

Hi,

My first post on the forum here, thanks in advance for your .02. Tried to go poking around on here a few times and at work they have any gun related sites blocked.

I'm not new to gun ownership but may as well be. Was introduced by a friends dad who was a vet and taught the basics, had a bunch as a kid, shot a lot, got rid of them before college, and always meant to at least own a few since but never did.

Now every time I see some new anti-gun rhetoric or legislation by politicians I feel like I should've gone and bought a few years ago. Anyway so this is purchase #1.

Step 1 is I want a .22 semi auto rifle that takes a clip of some capacity (seems everything is 25 rounds now instead of 50, probably some government BS, fine that works).. It should be of reasonable quality, reasonable cost, and it's gotta have a folding stock (and pistol grip sort of thing, something that is meant to be shot folded, not just stored). I'm in NH, so not a state with too much trouble as far as the basics of whats OK to own.

The purpose of this purchase if I'm going to shoot I like not having to wear ear protection, and it's cheap. Then basically my sentiments are if it really went to hell and I had to pick what to take and leave my home due to natural or unnatural disaster, I'd rather stuff a .22 rifle folded up in a backpack w/ 1000 rounds, that is compact enough for indoors or outdoors, and enough to hunt & ward off average riff raff, versus lugging around a heavier weapon & less rounds of heavier ammo.

So back when I was 15 I had Ruger 10/22 w/ a folding stock I added on. That was pretty good for what I want, I did not take good care of it and it performed fine... I'd like to keep this < $400. What I wonder is if I should go that route again, buy the 10/22 carbine & change the stock (stock recommendations if so?).. Or should I consider going w/ some other Ruger 10/22 that just comes this way? Or something else that's cheap like a Mossberg 715T ? Or another model?

What about buying used, should I consider that? Then if so what would I expeect to pay? I don't quite want to put up the cash for an SR22 but that would seem kinda nice for my purposes. It need not be an AR replica, just needs to be of decent quality w/ the folding stock and something that takes clips. OK that's long and enough - thanks in advance for your advice & ideas!

Jon

Check out a Ruger 10-22 take-down rifle. It's not a folding stock, but will break down to fit in a backpack. And the other option you mentioned is an AR in .22 cal, and you can put a folding buttstock on it.

A 10/22 and a Choate stock would be a great combo. Sell the wood stock and lower your cost, if you don't want to keep it.

You should be able to pick up a nice used 10/22 for around $150-$200, and a new Choate stock for under $100.

Ruger 10-22 with a folding stock fits your requirements.
I used a folding stock for years because it fit the carry box on the back of my ATV. Super handy for this use or for backpacking. You can still fire with stock folded.

Thanks for that guys - I guess I had the right idea 20 years ago and it's still the about the right idea.

I guess what I should do is first just poke around the guns shops and try to find a used 10/22 sitting on the shelf that has a folding stock? What do you look for on a used gun of this sort, in order to judge it's condition? Are there any other models outside of the Ruger 10/22 I should consider if I come across one?

I really do like the AR replica .22LR's that are out there, just it seems to get one of quality you gotta spend > $500. The last thing I want is a POS that is mostly built for cosmetics with a bunch of plastic parts to wear out or break.

Thanks!

Jon

Can I be "that guy" for a second.

.22LR, outdoors, can still damage your hearing without protection. I am sure most of us have done it a time or two and even though it doesn't physically hurt so to speak it is still loud enough to be damaging your hearing which cannot be fixed. You are a grown up so do what is best for you but I just wanted to put that out there.

Now as to your question. Does stock have to be "folding"? What about collapsing? Since it sounds like you sort of want a pseudo tacticool rifle why not take a look at the Smith and Wesson M&P .22 AR. It is basically a .22 caliber AR15. (Yeah I know they all are. :p)

25 round magazines that are cheap.
Mine has been reliable and generally they all seem to be.
Collapsible stock
Easy mounting of any optics, lights, lasers, bottle openers, curb feelers etc.
Pistol grip

Basically an AR15 and all the modularity of such in .22LR.

Other than that you can pretty much build a 10/22 into whatever you want but be aware it is fairly easy to take a perfectly serviceable $200 rifle and turn it into a $1200 rifle. (ask me how I know :() Hell I have seen 10/22s that probably have over $2 grand in them.

"I guess what I should do is first just poke around the guns shops and try to find a used 10/22 sitting on the shelf that has a folding stock?"

Probably not. I'd just look for a decent rifle withe the common birch or synthetic stock and replace that with a folding stock. Finding a 10-22 with a folding stock installed would be tough or might result in buying a rifle that had been used hard or abused.

Thanks again guys..

On the smith & wesson, it would seem in the ballpark as far as what I want, folding or collapsing is all good for me.. But looks like it's a little over the top of the price range - $500 sound about right for one of those?

If I was gonna go the route of doing a bunch of stuff that would be a better place to start? I think I probably will be happy with the basics but maybe taking a look at one and that's what I'll "need" all of the sudden.

On the sound levels - thanks for that too. Will look into that before I go shooting.. I never gave it a 2nd thought back then with the 10/22, thought it just wasn't warranted. With everything else I used it, actually I believe the single action revolver we borrowed periodically took the same rounds and that was a lot louder, and with that one we did too.

Jon

The 10-22 with a folding stock is several inches shorter than a 15-22 with collapsible stock if that's one of your priorities.

Thanks! Hmm - well that's good to know on the length; for me the collapsing w/ 6 positions isn't of a greater value than simple folding (provided a given folding design is reasonable to operate while folded).. I just want it to collapse and work that way if desired. And I feel like shorter has benefits over longer without much drawback if you are not sacrificing anything on the business/accuracy end.

Given I'm not trying to build the ultimate tactical .22, the simple cheap functional option definitely sounds like finding a good lightly used 10/22 and changing the stock.. Then down the road I guess if I'm so inclined I can keep dumping $$ into it until it's worth more than my truck :) or I can just be happy with it and pick a shotgun or pistol.

Jon

I have used both folding and collapsing stocks. I'm not fond of either b/c I have found neither is all that stable. My 10/22 Butler Creek folder probably had multiple degrees of play in the mechanism. 180 MOA multiple degrees. There are ways to reduce it, but none match a fixed stock. If you have used them before you know what you are getting into though. They can be fun.

Please use hearing protection, especially if around younger shooters who may follow your example.

"I have used both folding and collapsing stocks. I'm not fond of either b/c I have found neither is all that stable."

My take on this is the OP is more concerned with compactness/portability than with benchrest stability. I think my folder is a Choate and it is good enough for most shooters especially if using open sights. I really like compactness and capability of magazine access and/or firing with stock folded.

Thanks again guys! It's been awhile since I shot and knew, but I remember specifically I felt a pistol grip associated with a more tactical stock contributed to a decrease in accuracy - basically after changing a few rifles over from a solid stock to folding & solid skeleton I never was quite as on point. I assume that had something to do with my trigger pull and how it changes with the angle of my wrist.

But in this case the idea is not best possible accuracy, it's just making it fit into small spaces better for a multi purpose setup.

Jon

I am unaware of any factory 22s with folding stocks.

Whatever you buy please wear ear protection. You will suffer hearing loss even from the report of a 22 rifle. I shot the first year I had my first 22 rifle with no protection and suffered moderate hearing loss as a result. Not worth it. Trust me...it is NOT worth it.

SaxonPig Wrote: I am unaware of any factory 22s with folding stocks.

Like Pinky responded a couple of posts up, the Sig Sauer 522 comes with a folding "Swiss style" stock. I recently purchased one a couple of months back and it is a very nice rifle. Of course, being in CT and having all our ridiculous firearms laws, I had to buy one with a pinned stock :(

Unfortunately, the Sig 522 is over the $400 or under budget. More like closer to $475-$500 for the "Classic" model and more for one of the other models.

The Sig 522 is a really nice rifle. Only thing I don't like about it is the terrible iron sights they ship the gun with. The Williams peep sight set-up really isn't the correct sight for this gun in my opinion.

Thanks again for that guys - ready to do some shopping now.

It's very clear the 10/22 is about the best way to go building something to suit, but I found I may be able to buy that particular Sig lightly used off someone I know at a good discount.

Jon

Back