Best balanced target scope for Remington 700

TxFlyFish

What have you guys mounted on a remington 700 that makes the gun feel balanced? I know that a lot of it has to do with configuration of the rifle but lets just say run of the mill 700. I need at least 15x, target turrets and as light as possible. I am replacing a heavy 56mm nightforce nxs, that was OK for a heavy AI but im afraid will throw off the balance of a 700. I am open to suggestions, thanks!

I am in the same position as you, I have a superbly accurate Remington 700 in .243 that I want to put a long range-target style scope on. Like you, I do not want something that will make the rifle "top heavy" or unbalanced.

I have been looking hard at the Zeiss Conquest scopes with Target Turrets. They have great reviews, the tracking is supposed to be spot on, and they are a one inch scope. I am hesitant to put a 30mm scope on my .243 sporter.

I have a Weaver 4X on my Gradfather's 40's vintage 721 .270, and it balances about "perfect" on a bolt action rifle. Not a "target" rifle per se, but it has taken countless deer, bear and hogs since he bought it. I just took a nice doe with it last night, at well over a hundered yards (I need to get my freinds rangefinder).

Personally I always look at the "balance" (barrel length, overall length) to determine if I need a 10, 12 or 14" scope. You can find a variety of available powers in a multitude of brands that fall into either catagory. When you demand the target turrets you have limited yourself. Consider getting the correct length and power first and then add some Stoney Point turrets to achieve the remainder of your requirements. But that's just me......

With the Rem short action for the 243 if using Leupold rings/base the width between rings is 3" the width of Leupold knobs is appr 1" so that leave 1" to adjust eye relief/length forward or back. There some of the LR one-piece bases that are more adjustable on scope length/eye relief.

I use lot of Leupold scopes and their great for add-ons if you decide to change something.

You didn't mention what "I need at least 15x" for? I set up my varmit rifles little different that I would one of my hunting rifles or one that I use for targets. Little more information might help.

Thanks guys for the input. The rifle is for target shooting for up to 1000yds, and comes with 20inch barrel on a Mcmillan sako varmint stock, rifle only right now would weigh just under 11lb. It has no hunting or practical usage yet but I would like to set it up right. I could throw on a benchrest scope and not notice any difference, but I like good balance, ergos, integration on all my firearms.

I am done with speccing out everything, I just want something that works and balances out well. I have high end optics but on this build I want balance and integration, which is also the theme for the rifle.

I am not versed in ARs but what I am trying to achieve in "AR speak" is a KAC SR-15, balance and integration in the form of R700

Last edited:
I have an older Leupold 36x I'd sell, if anyone is interested. I'd need to get $350 for it.

It's not as large a scope as most with that power, but it's very bright and clear. It's not cherry, but in reasonably good shape.

Back