Best AR15 red dot

Best for the money, meaning the best life, features and performance...The Holosun is in first place for me.

You can go cheaper, but with sacrifice somewhere.

I have a base model Primary Arms red dot sight that cost about $100. I am happy with it and I think it is a good value. However, when people ask about value priced optics, I always ask what the optic will be used for. I cannot recommend a low cost optic on any firearm that might ever be used for defense.

For a firearm that might be needed in a life critical situation, I believe one of the lower Aimpoint models is the best choice. The Aimpoint PRO is over $400, but it is a solid model in a proven combat worthy line. Besides being rugged, the optical quality and battery life on the Aimpoints is very good. Aimpoint has also recently introduced a slightly cheaper ACO model. The ACO will probably do well, but it is too new to know for sure.

I do not consider the Aimpoint sights to be a great value. But sometimes top quality is worth the cost. For recreational use, some of the modest priced optics really are a good value. As I mentioned, I have a Primary Arms sight, and I have heard positive reports about some of the other sights mentioned in this thread.

Any firearm is a potential defensive tool, don't skimp on it. I go Aimpoint all the way, to me the reliability and ruggedness is worth the extra cost. You know you have a combat proven optic that you can rely on. Save the budget optics for the budget guns.

I also went with the Aimpoint PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic).

It is rugged, tested and accurate. It has a three year battery life if it is left on night and day so its always ready. Mine stays on always.

I have an Aimpoint PRO on my 5.56mm AR, and a Comp M4s on my D/I .45. On AR15.com, you can find used Comp M4s for a little over the price of the PRO, new. If you watch, you'll find awesome deals.

To me, I stick "best red dot" to Aimpoint. Yes, they are a little more pricey, but you rarely see them fail. The PRO is probably the best value in their line, especially with the mount being included. I like the Comp M4 series, as they use AA batteries. The PRO batteries are harder to get, but when you replace them yearly... it isn't THAT bad.

I actually did pick up one of those SIG branded Holosun sights for my father's Colt (going to be a Christmas present, and found a great deal). Opted for the AA version, as it would be easier for him. I've heard good things, however, I don't put them on par with Aimpoint.

What it really comes down to, is how much "best" you want to pay for.

I have red dot sights from Bushnell, Primary Arms, Vortex, Valdada and Aimpoint. They all have worked well for me. What is the best value? Really hard to tell. It depends on what you want. My overall favorite is probably the Valdada, although it has less battery life than the Aimpoint. It has a sharply defined 4MOA dot. I like the Aimpoint because of the long battery life and the simplicity of the controls. I like the PA advanced microdot because of the long battery life. Vortex Sparc has excellent warranty and is a good all around optic. The Bushnell TRS-25 is a really good value. I've had it for over 4 years now and it still works well. All comes down to what you want and how much you're willing to pay. My advice is to look at as many as you can, read the reviews, and make up your own mind.

I have three Aimpoint Pros and a CompC3. They work just fine. I bought a Aimpoint Carbine Optic that didn't work out of the box. I have owned five or six Burris FastFires. Two didn't work right out of the box. I have owned numerous Primary Arms MD ADS red dot sights. One didn't work. The red dots that work, work well. I've never lost zero on any of them.

I went with an AimPoint PRO for my duty rifle....love it to death. I am thinking about making an AR just for 100 yrds and less steel shooting/competitions and I may go with something cheaper as it won't be a life/death thing.

I have two Advanced Red dot sights from primary arms, they have worked out well so far. I did have an issue with one, where the parallax shift was excessive, and I had to get it replaced under warranty.

They run about $175 and have an always on battery life of 3 years.

I also have an Aimpoint PRO... It has better glass and better build overall, but is also cost twice what the Primary Arms sights cost. It's also bigger in size. The Aimpoint micros cost several hundred more.

I have seen several torture test videos where the Primary Arms held up well.

I have seen a video where one guy got a Holosun wet from rain, and it failed. He got a warranty replacement that also died from water. They are listed as being water proof down to 1m for several minutes... So to me, I am a little wary about them, but they have good features.

+1 for Vortex here. I use a Vortex Strikefire 2 on my ultralight AR. It kicks harder than most, and still shoots true. Never had to adjust it in the last 3 years. Got mine for $140 at the time.

For $75 or so it's pretty hard to beat the Bushnell TRS-25. I have a few on .308/7.62 and lesser calibers and no real complaints. The dot isn't as crisp as more expensive models but ok for 100 yards or less. The zero doesn't drift and there are 11 brightness settings. Battery is cheap and can last a year.

Back