Best AR Mgs/Savge comments?

Smiley

Hello everybody. I will be purchasing a bushmaster XM15 rifle in the next coupla weeks and wanted to get my hands on a few high cap mags right now. I would appreciate any words of wisdom on the best brands for magazines. I will be buying a few thermolds because i have a friend who swears by them but i wanted to also get a few others maybe six total. Mega-Mag are the ones i can get for a decent price. I am looking for realiability though. Thanks in a advance. Also if anybody can comment on savage rifles reputation i would appreciate that too.

I'd go with the Thermolds and G.I. mags. All the rest are crappy. Savage makes a good rifle, but the trigger is terrible. You'll have to get an aftermarket trigger if you want to hit much.

I agree with Walter. For USGI mags, go to the AR-15.com website and look under the "Magazines for Sale" thread. Always some good deals there on USGI mags (look especially for Colt, Okay, Sanchez or Labelle brand; expect to pay $14 to $25 for good used ones)Use your Thermolds at the range and keep the USGI for WTSHTF. I also agree with Walter on the Savage rifle except that I would also replace the stock as well as the trigger.

You were given the straight scoop on the mags. I would put my Savage 110 .270 against anybody in my deer camp, 2 Winchester's, 2 Remingtons, a custom '03 , and a Ruger. Speaking of triggers, why do you think that you can find a replacement trigger and many other parts for all of these other rifles (but not for Savage) in any sporting goods catalog you pick up including "Bubba's Bait Shop". Could it be that they all need aftermarket triggers? Now maybe I've just never shot any rifle with a "good" trigger, but the trigger on my Savage doesn't seem that bad to me, and any shot I've missed was not because of the trigger. I have also shot it enough that I know exactly when it is going to break. I will put more rounds through it on a weekend of plinking - unmarked distances at various targets, from whatever position- great practice for hunting, than a lot of guys put through their rifle in a year. Being completely familiar and comfortable with your rifle (no matter what brand it is) will make up for a lot of "supposed" shortcomings. If you don't like Savage's synthetic stock buy one of the models with wood, either the 110 in a hardwood stock, or the 114 in very nice walnut. Oh yeah, then it would cost as much as a 700. Check out their website www.savagearms.com
bergie

Smiley - First off, congrats on your impending purchase of a Bushmaster!

To repeat what has already been mentioned, definitely try to grab as many USGI mags as your budget permits. The Thermolds are good, but won't always hold the bolt carrier assembly back on last round fired.

For range work, 20 round mags will work best for shooting off the bench. The 30's are a tad long for that purpose. Also, on the 30's, a green follower is preferred to the black.

USGI mags with poor finish can also be refinished with a teflon coating, you can replace the springs with Wolff springs, etc. etc.

Cliff

I have a Bushmaster and an old Colt flatop, they both work well with Thermamolds and Colt G.I. steel 20 rounders. The Thermamolds I feel are excellent magazines I paid 12.00 a piece for mine 4 years ago at a gun show. The Savage are very accurate rifles right out of the box, they button rifle their own rifles in their plant in Mass.

Back