Best Ammo for S&W 351C

wmg1299

I took my S&W 351C to the inlaws' land today. The trigger is smoothing out nicely with repeated use, but I am not firing as accurately at distances over 7 yards as I would like. This is my only .22 WMR revolver, and I have very little experience with .22 mag ammo. I seemed to be slightly more accurate with CCI Mini Mags than I was with the Hornady V-max. Do any of you that have experience with short-barreled .22 mags have a preferred round? What have you guys found that performs the best in these types of revolvers? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

My old gripe on the 351 - barrel too short. That said I own the 351PD and I load it up with Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 40 grain ammo. This round gets about 90 fps more than any other 40 grain round I've chrono'd out of the 351. I kind of feel you are asking for an accurate round -- can't help you there as I feel they all shoot about the same for me.

The Speer Gold Dots have always worked the best for me. Designed for short barrels, accurate, clean, no sticky extraction. I use it in the 351c and NAA Black Widow. Never a problem.

a snub revolver isn't meant for target shooting so I'm guessing you want to know about a self defense round in this caliber for this gun. if so I'd recommend any of the FMJ loads.

I appreciate the responses. For some reason, CCI and Hornady seem to be on all the store shelves in my area, but Speer is incredibly difficult to find. I'll try ordering some online. I try to patronize brick-and-mortar whenever possible, but I don't think it is possible this time.

I had the same problem finding the Gold Dots, so I ordered some online for about $13.50 a box. Basically the same price as any other .22 Magnum ammo.

Back