Best ammo for Remington 788 .308 caliber

Devin

Inactive
I want a opinion on the best ammo to use for my Rem. 788. I was told that it was designed around the 165 gr. Federal match Core Lokt load. I am finding if this info is true that this load is becoming increasingly harder to find. Boat tail is readily available however I was also told that boat tail will "wander" a bit in this rifle.

Most rifles, even of the same type and manufacture, with have an ammo preference onto themselves.

Your best bet would be to try different loads, keeping track of the results, until you find one that works the best out of your gun.

Sorry but that is the best answer I can give to your question.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Whatever you do, don't get the cheap .308 South African stuff from Ammoman. I tried the stuff in a Savage, and every 3rd round jammed when trying to extract it after firing.

Thank you for your response. I went out and tried a few rounds of bthp and core lokt sp. The core lokt was far more accurate of a load. My rifle is set at 100 yd. zero I was shooting at a target at 60 yds. Iwas 1/2 inch off the center with the core lokt and 2 inches off with boat tail.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>My rifle is set at 100 yd. zero I was shooting at a target at 60 yds.
I was 1/2 inch off the center with the core lokt and 2 inches off with boat tail.[/quote]

Devin;

I think we are talking two different animals here. Regardless of what you have your rifle zeroed for which grouped better. You should be more concerned with which load achives a better group... not where the group is impacting. You can always change your zero once you find a cartridge that groups the best.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schmit:
Devin;

I think we are talking two different animals here. Regardless of what you have your rifle zeroed for which grouped better. You should be more concerned with which load achives a better group... not where the group is impacting. You can always change your zero once you find a cartridge that groups the best.

[/quote]
I am sorry I should have worded that better.
My group with the core-lokt was quarter size the boat tail was around 1' apart from each other firing 3 shots each.

I used my 788 almost exclusively as a long range varmint rifle, and got outstanding results using 130gr Speer hollow points. They would do 1/2 moa with the "out of the box" rifle. That 18" barrel was real handy for hiking around the Sonoran Desert.

Back