Best ammo for Detective Special?

nzed

Hello,

What brand and weight ammo works best in your Detective Special?

Having recently purchased a used Detective Special, I tried it out on Sunday afternoon. Did absolutely terrible. I am not the greatest shot, but I know I am better than what I shot Sunday afternoon.

Tried a couple of different brands of ammo.

158gr CCI Blazer LRN were hitting way above and to the left of point of aim.

Had some PMC LRN (not sure of the grain)with me. They were also above and to the left of point of aim, but not as high as the Blazers.

Shot a few of my reloads (125gr Star JHP using 5gr of Universal Clays). These were the best in that although still to the left, they were in about the same line as point of aim.

Did not shoot from a rest and the distance was about 7yds. All shots were on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper (orange dot for bullseye in center of sheet).

I know different brands of ammo will work differently in different guns; so I was wondering what you have found to be the best for your Detective Special.

I ordered a pair of Eagle Secret Service grips for the gun and will probably wait unitl they arrive before going to the range again. May as well practice with the final configuration of the gun.

I hope to be able to learn to accurately shoot this revolver as I would like to use it for CCW. Guess I just need alot of practice. Oh well, another excuse to spend some more time at the range.

Bob Petrey
petreyrj@sectv.com

Best Ammo for Detective Special

nzed,

Although I don't have a Detective Special, I currently have 2 snub nose revolvers, a Ruger SP101 anda Rossi 68, and have owned several others over the years, perhaps I can help with your question.

Shooting a snub nosed revolver is easy, shooting it accurately isn't easy. It takes a lot of practice and concentration. Because of its light weight and extremely short sight radius, it can be somewhat difficult to hold steady on target. This is remedied only by practice (which is something you seem ready to do anyway).

Another factor is bullet weight. Lighter, faster bullets will tend to shoot lower, while slower, heavier ones will shoot higher. Experiment with different bullets.

A detective Special is also a fixed-sight revolver, so the only way to change the point of impact is to change your ammo.

Once you get your new grips, try several different types of ammunition and see what happens. From what I read, the 158 gr. lead hollow point (I think that's the old FBI load) is considered to be the best for the snubbie 38.

BTW, you might want to check out a thread on this topic titled "Suggestions on 38 Special +P ammo".

Nazman44

I have to agree, the Plus P LSWCHP or LSWC is the best for short barrel revolvers. Even Speer recommends it in their loading manual. It's very difficult to get velocity out of anything much heavier than 110-125 grain jacketed bullets in an under 4" revolver. They don't usually shoot to POA. I use the 158 LSWCHP or LSWC in all my .38 Specials.

my default load in a snubby is the 158gr lswchp +p because i can always find it

my preferred load is the ferderal nyclad (non hydra shok, non +p) 125gr hp "chief's special". designed to expand out of short barrels without the need to go +p

currently carrying the federal personal pretection 110gr hydra-shok

i'd wait for your new grips and start with 148gr wadcutters to get used to the trigger and recoil of the gun. then i'd move up to 158gr lead for increased recoil before transitioning to defense loads ;)

detective special

I own 3 colt 2 in...........2 cobras and a det spec. They all shoot to the sights with ammo at 1020-1100 fps. Distance is about 7 yards.

Back