Best all around short action cartridge

Jebby

Inactive
Hello all. I want to start off saying that I am a new member to the forum. I have visited it many times in the past. Every time I do a search of try to get info on a gun/cartridge I end up on this forum. Figured it was time to join up.

So here is my Dilemma. I have always used the magnum cartridges for literally every thing. My dad was born and raised in brown bear, wolf, and Moose country, as was I for a while. Now we have relocated to Virginia and my 338 win mag is (I feel like) a huge overkill for these small deer and bear down here.

Bottom line is I really want a short action cartridge that isn't in the magnum family. For a light weight, compact package that I can pack anywhere for any length of time. I have never had any experience with any short action cartridge other than 300 wsm. I was really looking at 308 win or 7mm-08. I'm not how sure how either of them stack up and that's the only two I have looked at.

If anyone has any other suggestions on a particular caliber for my purpose, I am all ears. I also reload my own ammo. The gun I am looking into is the browning x bolt, 22" tube. Would again be open to suggestions on the rifle too.

Thank you all in advance and I apologize for such a long post.

The 7-08 is what I'm kinda leaning towards. I have a good friend here that uses a 308 for everything. He is the one that sparked the debate in my mind. Are the 7mm bullet "enough" for bear too? Out of the 7mm-08?

For all around use I like 308. It sets right in the middle of the family tree. The 243, 260, 7-08, 308, 338 fed, 358 Win, are all based on 308. With lighter 110-130 gr bullets it will do almost anything you can do with 243. And with heavier 200-210 gr hand loads it will out perform 338 Fed and 358. One of the 1200 lb Alaskan Brown bear is the only thing in NA I'd hesitate to hunt with a 308 and even then I'm sure it'd work.

The 260 or 6.5 Creedmore are options too. They, or the 7-08 are really all you'll need for deer or bear in the Southeast. If you're not going to hunt anything larger than deer a 243 is enough. The 308 with heavier bullets will have an advantage if you ever plan on larger stuff like elk, moose, etc.

The ultimate lightweight carrying around rifle is a Kimber 84M. Mine is still under 6 lbs with scope and mounts. It is my choice when hunting in steep mountains. I also have a modified Winchester 70 EW for all around use. It is about 1.25 lbs heavier, but is a little more steady and I tend to shoot it a little more accurately. I have a McMIllan Edge stock on the EW with a few other minor mods. Both have their place.

For Virginia & environs/most efficient/lightweight/low punishment/get anywhere/everywhere/do-everything? (good for muleys too)
No competition:
243 Win

I have both a 243 and a 7-08 I use for deer here in the northeast and So. Carolina. I would grab either for a deer hunt from stand or still hunting. For black bear I would opt for the 7-08 just for the heavier bullet. I have a model 7 in 7-08 that is just over 6lbs with scope and it shoots great out to 200 yds, never shot at anything further but I am sure it would do fine to 300yds. The model 7 does come in 308 and 243 so the choice is yours. You did say you reload so you do have plenty of options with the 08. 100 to 170 gr bullets if your rifle will shoot them well..

If you ever plan to walk into a store and buy a box of ammo it's narrowed to 308 and 243.

Next is 7-08 ammo availability wise.

Then the needlessly fragmented 260/6.5mm market. Too bad, on paper it's arguably the most efficient. The only one assured of survival is the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, arguably not "a short action caliber" depending on the definition of "short".

Thank you all for your posts. The 243 has an unmistakable reputation from what I have read. I just feel like its a little small for black bear. I'm sure many have used it for that purpose. Is there a large selection of bullet for the .24 caliber round? And at first I really wanted a kimber but I love the looks and feel of the xbolt. Have any of you ever hunter 2-400 pound black beat with the 243, 7mm, or 308?

Jmr40

That's an excellent point. There is an abundance of reloading options for it too. Do you load your own ammo? If so, what powders have you been successful with?

Again, I'm sorry for all of the questions. I'm just kinda in the dark as far as experience with the calibers go.

With a good bullet, any of those will do.

.308 ammo/bullets are often easier to come by .... but I handload, so that's a non-issue for me.

I like the 7-08, myself...... but I think there is not enough difference between the 3 to sweat over ..... I'd see what's available that I could get the best deal on.

Again, I'm sorry for all of the questions.

Don't be sorry. Nothing to be sorry for: If you don't know, you won't know, until you ask someone who does.

If you make an uninformed decision, and it turns out you got something you did not want, then you might be sorry .....

I have done some looking online. So far around here locally, there is literally nothing. Reloading wise and if I do find some it is outrageous. I just gave $61 for a box of 22 cal nosler varmageddons. My uncle is letting me use his 22-250 for coyotes. At midways USA they have a great selection of reloading supplies. I just can choke down the shipping cost of powder. From what I can tell I can get plenty of brass, and bullets from them in any of the above mentioned cal. I am intrigued by the 7mm though. The 120 nbt in my manual says 3050 with it is possible. Out of a 26" tube of course. Would that load be sufficient for deer/bear?

The 7mm 120 gr is more than adequate for deer but for bear I think I would go a bit heavier although it would depend on the size of the bear. 200 lbs and under I would not hesitate with a good 120 that would stay together. I have found that in my 7-08's I get much better accuracy out of a 140gr bullet @ 2800 fps. and that would take care of any animal I would care to hunt here in NH other than a moose which I would load up a heavier bullet in the same caliber. Just wondering where you live that you cant find a decent supply of powder locally without having to pay hazmat to have it shipped in.

People around here hunt bear with a 30-30, and we have the biggest black bears on the east coast. Have you ever hunted before this?

Jewell ridge va. Southwest va. I can find it but like I saiid, it is stupid expensive. I have found some varget and imr in a few variations but it was all almost 60 bucks a pound. There is a bass pro about and hour or so away from me. I'm sure I could get my powder there. I have just about decided on the 7mm-08. I know every rifle is different but what powder bullet combo in the 140 gr do you get good accuracy from. Most of the powders I have is benchmark, mag pro, and hunter.

Back