Best AK Mags?

RiponP90

I'm looking for opinions on the best AK mag out there. Now, I don't have an AK, I have a SIG 556R. I use mostly Tapco mags. They are affordable and in my opinion the best mags out there. I also have a 40 round Bulgarian magazine which works fairly well. I am extremely disappointing in the one Pmag that I have. It loads horribly, doesn't grip or enter as well as the Tapco.

Are there AK mags out there that are kind of like the HK mags that can clip to each other? I used to double mag all the time overseas and was a bit envious of the NATO forces we worked with that had such a simple system to do that.

I like Communist made steel AK mags and consider them to be the "Best.":rolleyes:

Did receive a Magpul AK mag recently. Not sure I like the idea of the feed lips not being metal lined. We'll see how long it lasts over time.

Never had a problem with Chinese made steel mags. A bit crude looking perhaps, but they have always worked well for the last 28 years. Also have some other mags with ribs down the back, but I can't remember if they are E. German or Hungarian or Yugoslavian. They work good, too.

Last edited:
I usually run the 20 round Hungarian (my favorite) or 30 round communist made steel AK mags. I'm not a fan of the plastic mags with out steel feed lips, they end up getting chewed up like the old 22LR mags that I have seen. I know Magpul has come out with their newest version of the AK mag and its got a steel-reinforced locking lug and front spine so I may give one of these a try, you can also get the mag camps to run a double mag on these. I guess the older I get the more I perfer the 20 rounders even on my AR:rolleyes:.

Aaaah, 'Best"

Best compared to each rifles preference, cause each rifle might do 'best' with different types...

My rule of thumb... milsurp steel first; bakelites 2nd; if polymer, Circle 10s which ain't cheap.

But as I have learned... this rifle might like these 'best', that rifles does 'best' with the other...

So buy a few and build up a nice collection of those as well... find out what works 'best' and buy more of those. Tis amazing the variety of AK mags out there.

For anything that isnt milsurp circle 10 is #1. But as mentioned they are spendy. My neighbor is selling his for $40 a peice.

That 40 round Bulgarian worked well when I tested it yesterday. I was surprised. I still am a fan of Tapco. Does anyone find that you can load 31 rounds instead of 30 and then have trouble chambering that first round? I kept running into that yesterday without thinking.

Back