Best 9mm/.40 for small hands????

Gary H

My wife is rather small. Her Kahr K9 is very comfortable to shoot, but she can't rack the slide. Her Ruger SP 101 works great (lightened springs) but five on-line doesn't work well for PPC/IDPA. I'm interested in any suggestions regarding quality semi-auto handguns. Even if we lightened the springs on the K9, it isn't very accurate.

One option: the Browning Hi-Power (or a clone like my FEG PJK-9HP) has a short trigger reach that sometimes works well for smaller hands. I have larger hands, but with a Hogue monogrip, the grip fills my hand nicely and feels great.

Try out a Hi-Power. The SA trigger can make for very good accuracy (if you get a good specimen or get a good trigger job; I'm happy without a trigger job on mine). The HP has a great reputation for reliability and accuracy, pointability, ergonomics, etc. And with those 17-round SA mags from http://www.cdnninvestments.com, you have plenty of capacity.

Any single stack mid to full sized semi auto. Try the Sig 239 and 225, and various S&W's. If you prefer hi-capacity, you can't do much better than a Walther P99. It has an adjustable super comfortable and narrow grip holding 16+1 rounds of 9mm, and 12+1 rounds of .40.

Why don't you try the Walther P99 with the smallest backstrap fitted ? I can't think of anything better for small handed shooters (although I shoot my P99 with the medium size backstrap). Great gun !

Gary, i agree with the recommendations of the sig 239, that was one of the ones that my wife tried when we were looking for a new carry gun for her. however, her hands were small enough that she couldn't reach the slide release/catch without numerous gyrations of the firearm. so we went with the european styled 232 <.380> and it's perfect for her, she can reach all the necessary controls and handle it very well. <she out shoots me most of the time> the p-99 is also a good choice, i have one, and with the smallest backstrap it's a good fit for her, with the same exception of the slide release/catch. and i thought that big paws like mine were a pain, yet my p-99 is more comfortable in my hand with the medium backstrap...go figure. good luck, and remember, make sure that she tries each gun you look at, afterall it's for her. *grin*

Adept

Amy Goes Shopping

We visited the largest of our few remaining gun shops. California has been rather bad for business. Found the Walther's trigger to be beyond the reach of Amy's trigger finger. The Sigs were tough to rack the slide. Steyrs not in evidence and the Brownings not on the CA DOJ list.

The two shining lights were the H&K full size 9mm USP and the Glock 34. The USP was the easiest to operate the slide, the SA trigger was great and the grip was most comfortable, but the DA trigger was just a bit much of a stretch. Does anyone know if the DA trigger position can be adjusted back? The Glock 34 had great balance and she could reach the trigger.

Any feedback on these two guns? Right now it looks like it will be the Glock, unless the USP's trigger can be adjusted by a couple of mm.

Between those two it probably will favor the Glock 34 if you consider the very low bore-axis of the Glock {whether compared to the H&K or not} giving noticably less muzzle flip & perceived recoil. The biggest plus though may be the very short trigger re-set {distance} once the first round is off and she has learned to use this feature to best advantage? If she can rack the slide on a new Glock 34 now it will only get better as Glock recoil springs "Sag-Out" pretty quickly. And...........The Glock 34 is a Superb choice for SSP in IDPA and am NOT talking about IDPA's allowing Glocks 3.5 lb. conn., extended mag release & slide lock lever either! If you shoot IDPA also I think you're in trouble.

Skevlar:

Why are you in trouble with IDPA? Are you concerned about the long barrel? What is the issue? I'm new to this, so the wink and nod goes past me.

Is it your understanding that IDPA will disqualify the Glock 34 from competition due to the light trigger?

Nothing like that. Since all the things mentioned come standard from Glock on the 34 & 35 it is completely "Legal" for SSP in IDPA. The "trouble" biz was just a reference to her probably being able to "Out-Shoot" you.............

Outshooting me is rather easy. I would love it.

I just realized that I have two high cap magazines that will fit the Glock 35 (40 caliber.) These are like gold in California. I would love to buy the 35 for her, but I would need to find some really good low-energy defensive and practice rounds. I know that she would be uncomfortable with full power 40. Of course, the other issue is cost. Shooting 40 is much more expensive than shooting 9mm. Also, should I ever reload, reloading 40 in Glock is iffy due to KB. I guess that this is moot in low-energy reloads.

Gary,

Why don't you install a lighter recoil spring in your wife's K9 and only shoot standard velocity loads. That was Kahr's solution to the problem when they introduced the Lady K9. Unlike the standard K9 the Ladies' version is not rated for Plus P loads.
Go to the Wolff gunspring site for all the available recoil springs for the Kahr pistols. http://www.gunsprings.com

Also, I've not personally come across a Kahr pistol that wasn't VERY accurate..
Mark / FL

[Edited by Mark King on 05-08-2001 at 10:08 PM]

Second to the Sig P225 (which I love) ... Reloading the .40 might be the hot ticket. You can find a mild load that you like (I suggest VV-N340 powder for low flash) and get a recoil spring that tolerates it (many stiff springs don't do well with mild loads as they are designed to protect the frame from the hot ones!). I have made loads for my .40 that are about the same as a standard 9mm. Then you also get to reload ... and if she outshoots you, then at least you had something to do with her success!
Saands

Thanks for the great suggestions. I will be buying the 35, but I will also send for some new springs for the Kahr. Reloading light .40 takes care of many things. I've been looking at Georgia Arms ammunition. It is a bit hot, but they have both practice 155gr and defense loads which are just slightly different in performance and rather inexpensive. They are still a bit hot.

Amy has started to weight train. We have a full gym in our house. The emphasis is on "full", but she hasn't developed the habit. Looks like this might change. I would guess that one-month of weight training and she will be able to handle all the guns in the safe.

[Edited by Gary H on 05-13-2001 at 12:08 PM]

How about a 1911 Government or Combat Commander in 9mm?

My wife too has very small hands and relatively short fingers but she has no problem with the 9mm Combat Commander. It has thin grip, Wilson grip safty, lowered thumb safty and short reach trigger and she has no problem with recoil or the racking the slide. She is pretty damn accurate with it too.

If you want something that fits small hands, go with the Browning Hi Power. Can't beat it. One drawback for you may be that it is single action.

Just sold all my SIGS. Back to basics

9mm BHP/ S&W 3913
40 S&W BHP-extra 357SIg Bbl
45 1911A1/ Combat Commander/ Commander...all Colt
Springfield Armory acceptable replacement
Seen too many Kimbers that are unreliable

All Combat guns, no frills just performance.

Cheers,

ts

Back