Best 9mm 124gr round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamster

I prefer 124 gr of some sort, like Hydra-Shok, Golden Saber, or Gold Dot. Which of these three gives the best results through thin and heavy clothing, as well as other common barriers (glass, walls, etc.)? Also, is it better to use +P(+) out of a Glock 17?

I'd look at the Pro-Load 124 +P. It used the Speer Gold-Dot bullet. Corbon might make something to your liking too.

Ben

------------------
Besides, I didn't become a "Senior Member" by just sitting around!
:)
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited October 17, 1999).]

You might also want to take a look at the Triton Hi-Vel, it's a 125 gr. HP, and is quite accurate. Also check out the Remington Golden Saber or the Federal 9bp if you don't want to shoot +p ammo.

Take a look at Georgia Arms "Shear Power Plus" line of defensive ammo. They use new components with the Gold Dot bullet.

Thier 124 gr. is listed at 1200 fps. It's good stuff at a really good price.

georgia-arms.com/power.htm

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

Greetings, Shamster! Others have given good advice in my opinion. Though no longer manufactured with the 124 gr XTP bullet, when Cor*Bon loaded it, this was a most accurate plus p load averaging 1258 ft/sec from my Browning HP. I recently tested some of Cor*Bon's 125 gr plus 9mm using the Sierra bullet and got 1220 ft/sec from a CZ75. Speer's 124 gr plus p Gold Dot averages 1199 ft/sec from the HP while Remington's Golden Saber gets 1157 ft/sec. Pick the one that feeds with utter reliability in your gun and that gives the best accuracy. I suspect that the Golden Saber and (bonded) Gold Dots will do best through intermediate targets. Best.

I would vote for the Federal Nyclad 124gr. It has consistently rated high in standard pressure 9mm. Just my $.02.

Scott Weaver

The 124 +P Gold Dot is the NYPDs new duty ammo.

Proload is good stuff with the same bullet if ya can't find the +P Speer load.

The 124 +P Golden Saber is good, and easy to find.

Gold Dot doesn't get as big through clothes as the others, but is much better through the barriers/glass.

The Sierra bullet in CorBon is great through clothes. Triton has too much flash for some.

Mullins ammo loads the 115 XTP to 1385 fps.

------------------
>>>>---->

My vote is the same as Ben's. The Proload 124 gr. +P Gold Dot is a very good round from them. It has proven to be accurate and clean-burning for me.

Shamster, I got some Hi-Vel from Triton and shot them through my G17. With 15 shots, one hole about 2" in diameter. It was the 124 gr version and was rated at 1250 fps. The bark was big I thought and a slight flash, but nothing serious, very acurate! If you can get your hands on a few boxes of these, go for it, from what I could tell they were gold dots... If you can't get them, I recommend the georgia arms route, good prices and a good bullet... Just my opinion and experience with my G17...

NCglocker

In bare gel after heavy cloth:

124 Gold Dot 16/.54
124 GD +P 20/.53
125 GD 357 SIG 19/.54

124 Hydra Shok 13/.60

125 Golden Saber 13/.60

124 Rem JHP 14/.57

124 XTP 18/.46

------------------
>>>>---->

Status