Best 7.62x39 Hunting Loads?

shunt

I realize that many people frown on using the 7.62x39 as a hunting cartridge, but for those of you who have and have had success, what ammo has become your preference?

Or, what would you recommend for hunting wild hog?

wild hog?

You really need GOOD penetration for hogs.

123 Grain bullets in 30 Caliber are not the Recipe.

For 30 Caliber 170-180 Grains is closer to what you need.

Go 30-30 or heavier in 30 Caliber.

the 7.62X39 MM is great for deer but, I wouldn't shoot a bear or hog with it.

And if you've just *got* to hunt deer with it, make sure you're very, very good at hitting things like beer cans, offhand, at over 50 yards. Limit any shot to not over maybe 75 to 100 yards--on small deer.

It's not that they won't kill; the issue is a quick, clean kill--or anchor the deer in the event of a bad hit.

Folks have always said, "Why, those ol' thutty-thutties have killed more deer than any other cartridge!" Uh-huh. And crippled more deer that got away to die, than any other cartridge.

One way of showing respect for game is to be a bit over-gunned, if anything.

Art

As to the notion that 7.62x39 is too weak to be very effective for deer:

I have not shot 7.62x39, but so I'm going on the assumption that it is approximately the same as 30-30, maybe marginally weaker.

My dad once shot a whitetail with a .30-30 somewhere between 75 and 100 yards. The bullet went clear through the deer LENGTHWISE. Needless to say, this was deer was not lost, nor did if have to be tracked.

So, I tend to reject the claim that this (30-30, and therefore 7.62x39) is a marginal round.... It has it's limits, but within them is very effective.

Again, I have not shot 7.62x39, and I have not hunted boar, but I don't feel underpowered for that size game with a 30-30.

------------------
Abe Smith,
President of UW-Madison's
Student Alliance for Firearm Education and Responsibility

Abe, that's the whole point. As one of our favorite movie characters said, "A man's gotta know his limits." He's gotta know the limits of his cartridge, too.

:), Art

Back