Best 6.5 Creemoor Match ammo for reloading

veprdude

Just picked up a DPMS LR-308 with 1:8 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. Federal GMM is kind of my go-to for match ammo but I'm open to suggestions and why.

Anything using Hornady's eldm or x bullets will likely have very good results--since you're using an AR you'll be limited by the COL to cartridges that have a fairly long jump to lands. In my experience Hornady's eld bullets seem to be some of the best performing bullets in "the long jump."

stagpanther; hummm my ar-10 in 243-win is so short to the lands that i can load mag length and jam about .020, they will pull the bullet if not crimped and i try to eject a loaded round. that's with a smk 107 if anyone cares.

not all firearms are created equal your mileage will vary !

The OP appears to me to be asking about factory ammo made for the 6.5 Creedmoor--that's what I based my recommendation on.

I've built several Creedmoor AR's; in general--for modern high SD/BC bullets--the distance for the BO ogive to engage the lands goes significantly past the typical 2.8" you'll find on factory ammo and magazines. I just did a random sampling of good 6.5 bullets and they all engage the lands at 2.85 or more--mostly more-- in one of my 6.5 Creedmoor ARs. But the Creedmoor is one of those cartridges that "jumps well" in an AR, though you may have to search around for the ideal COL. I've found that Hornady's ELD bullets generally work very well even with long jumps to lands in the many different cartridges I've used them in when making hand-loads.

Last edited:
The OP appears to me to be asking about factory ammo made for the 6.5 Creedmoor--that's what I based my recommendation on.

I've built several Creedmoor AR's; in general--for modern high SD/BC bullets--the distance for the BO ogive to engage the lands goes significantly past the typical 2.8" you'll find on factory ammo and magazines. I just did a random sampling of good 6.5 bullets and they all engage the lands at 2.85 or more--mostly more-- in one of my 6.5 Creedmoor ARs. But the Creedmoor is one of those cartridges that "jumps well" in an AR, though you may have to search around for the ideal COL. I've found that Hornady's ELD bullets generally work very well even with long jumps to lands in the many different cartridges I've used them in when making hand-loads.
I want to buy some good match ammo for now, save the brass and reload later. I was planning on buying 140gr. SMK for reloading. Will the ELD bullets work better in this setup? I'm not looking for single hole accuracy- just a good low-hassle target load I can reload myself if/when ammo gets tight again.

140 gr Hornady ELDM bullets are excellent, the factory ammo is pretty darn good and Hornady brass is not bad, but not great. Rather than mess around I’d suggest getting some ELDM bullets, some H4350, and some Starline small primer brass and just start working up a load from the start. Or if you want you could bump up to Lapua brass for better quality and longevity.

The 140 SMK is an old bullet design, probably used with the earlier 6.5 chambers and looks like it has a tangent ogive to tip shape.
The new Sierra SMK is the 142 gr SMK which has a secant ogive to tip shape.

I would try the 140 ELD-Ms to start, if you can find them.

In all three of my 6.5mm CM bolt actions, the 140 ELD-M, 142 SMK, 143 ELD-X, and 147 ELD-M bullets are more than 0.1 inch more accurate for 5-round groups at 100 yards and have a much higher BC than the older 140 SMKs.

Back