Best .45 colt for ccw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugerSAfan

Starting to reload for my 7.5 inch blackhawk.
Want to be conistent with cartirdges.
What is a good choice for a ccw DA revolver
for the .45 colt? (Yes, I will use manufactured
ammo when carrying on the street).

John

I'm kind of partial to my Mountain Gun in .45LC, but some find hiding a 4" N-frame difficult. Taurus makes a fine snubbie in the same caliber, the Model 450.

RugerSAfan, let me toss you one from left field. How about a Ruger Vaquero Sheriff’s Model. Nice barrel length and not a whole lot bigger than any of alternatives. You can get a nice IWB made up for it. Fred

Taurus' 450 snubbie is about the only production .45 Colt that would qualify as a true CCW arm IMO. 5 shots, 21.2 oz in steel and 19.2 in titanium (450T) http://www.taurususa.com/titanium/450t.html
m85t.html

You can find a Colt New Service .45 caliber revolver on the used gun market.

The Colt New Service is a fine weapon.

Best .45 Colt for CCW

I have carried a .45 Colt N frame 25-5 for years. It has a 6 inch barrel, and has been extensivly customized. One thing that helped in using it for CCW was to have it round butted to K frame specs. I use a holster by Sam Andrews, it is a 'hybrid saddle' design, with a cut away front to ease the long barrel out. It works well for me. I usually wear this revolver covered with a button front shirt, worn out, and over a tee shirt. That is a common look down her in Miami. The load I like best is the 200 grain CorBon JHP.

I had my 'smith make me an additional cylinder for .45ACP. I like the HydroShock 230 grain when I use that cylinder.

Starting to reload for my 7.5 inch blackhawk.
Want to be conistent with cartirdges

DANGER, DANGER, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Ok, so I admit, I'm being overly dramatic ;). I'm sure most are aware that the Blackhawk in .45LC can take loads far above what some of the others mentioned here can stand.

I was at a local shop that had a nice blue/case hardened frame Ruger Vaquero with a bird's head grip (Sheriff model)???? that seemed like it could be a great carry gun. It had a 3+inch barrrel and some nice micarta grips. It was smaller than a Mountain gun that was near it on the shelf. It was in 45colt, with the right holster it could be a great CCW piece

The Legendary Model 1 .45 Colt/.410

Length: 4.82 inches
Barrel: 3 inches
Height: 3.35 inches
Frame width: .9 inch
Grip width: 1.2 inches
Weight: 15 oz.
2-shots with automatic barrel selection
All American Derringers are equipped with a manually operated Hammer Block type safety. The safety automatically disengages when the hammer is cocked.
m1.jpg

The Ruger Sheriff's Model and Birdshead certainly have potential though I think the Taurus 450 would be a more realistic choice if it was not ported. I just do not believe ports have any business on a weapon (versus a range or target gun)--matter of fact, the only reason I don't own a 450 is that you cannot get an unported version.

If you want the derringer forget the american derringer, go for the bond arms big bore. You can also change barrels if you want. I am thinking about the Redhawk in 5.5 inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back