Best .45 ACP revolver?

45ACP SIXGUNS...

I OWN SIX OR SEVEN OF THESE DELIGHTFUL SIXGUNS. THE RUGER BLACKHAWK IS THE PICK OF THE LITTER FOR ACCURACY AND PURE TOUGHNESS. THAT BEING SAID THE COLT SAA IS MY FAVORITE EVERYDAY 45ACP SHOOTIN' GUN. THE SMITH 45ACP SIXGUNS ARE EXTRA COOL TOO WITH THE M625-? 4" MOUNTAIN GUN BEING MY FAVORITE DA 45ACP SIXGUN AFTER FIVE YEARS OF CONSTANT SHOOTING.
AN OLD SMITH M25-2 6 1/2" 45ACP/AR SHOT THE SMALLEST GROUP I'VE EVER SHOT AT 25 YARDS, 1/4" C.TO C.
ALSO HAVE THREE SPAGETTI SIXGUNS WITH 45ACP CYLINDERS AND THEY TOO HAVE BEEN GOOD SHOOTING 45ACP SIXGUNS.
THE 45ACP IN A GOOD SIXGUN WILL OUTSHOOT ALL BUT THE FINEST OF 45ACP AUTOLOADERS...AND NONE OF MY BRASS ENDS UP IN THE RATTLESNAKE HOLES.
I DO LIKE 45ACP SIXGUNS...

I'd have to go along with the Smith as well. Easy of reloading and a Smith trigger and the unconquerable N frame package.
But if you buy one please look to used guns and do not support the company that would not support our rights.

Looks like we all have similar experiences with the .45 ACP in revolvers. I have a 25-2 (1955 Target) like Terry's...6-1/2" pinned barrel, N-frame. It's a big gun that shoots SMALL groups...my best ever at 50 yards: 1-7/8" with five in one hole...iron sights. I also shot a possible on the NRA silhouette course with it once...in practice <wince>.
My Ruger Blackhawk convertible groups the 200-gr H&G bullet in an inch and a mite at 25 yards. The ACP cylinder is just a bit more accurate than the Long Colt wheel...just a BIT.
I think the long barrels are a factor. My Blackhawk is a 1976 gun, and has properly sized cylinder throats and has had the forcing cone chamfered which help accuracy considerably.
The 1955 Target also shoots the Long Colt 260 gr. bullet, in Auto Rim cases, very well. A heck of a plate or pin load with lots of smash. I use the Skelton recipe that he called the 'Poor Man's Magnum' and 'the flying shotglass'.
I don't understand why prices on nice old 25-2's are hanging at around $400...I wouldn't take twice that for mine.

I go to every gun show and subscribe to Shotgun News.
I know what guns cost.
45acp revolvers sell for more than they cost new, at shows.
And they sell fast.
If you see one, watch how fast it goes.
At the range, notice how proud the owners of 45acp revolvers are.
These are well liked guns.

HouTex,

Sorta depends on "best" for what use.

For a pin gun, look for a Dan Wesson with the compensated shroud. It also has lots of hunting possibilities with it's other calibers.

For a great value in an inexpense format, snap up a Ruger Convertible.

For an all around shooter or target work, go with any of the S&W 25/625 family. (The Mountain Gun configuration is nice...)

Good Luck...

Joe

IMHO, the "pick of the litter" in .45 ACP revos is the S&W Model 625...five-inch full-lug, "Mountain Gun" OR "V-Comp" from the Performance Center, they are ALL GREAT guns!!!....mikey357

Guys I've always been curious why this concept is so popular? It is because of the accuracy of the cartridge and then put it in a good revolver makes it even more so?

No trying to start a flame war just maying I am missing something I need.

Thanks

If we are talking the best of the best, then the Cylinder & Slide Pin Wheeler is in the top of the heap. The price reflex it too, $2000 a copy and that is using your gun as a base.

Drundel. If you don't have a rimless cartridge revolver, then yes, you are missing something. :)

gun-closeup.JPG

Robert

S&W 625

Sign me up on the S&W 625 side. I had a 4" heavy barrel that I loved. I paid $300 for it and a friend needed it more than I did. She offered me $600 and I ran with the money. I now have a 625 Springfield Commemorative that I like as well as the one I sold. Regards, Richard

Call me partial...

...but I have a 625-5 that is totable in all but the hottest weather, shoots like a champ with its 5" full-underlug barrel, and looks beautiful with a cocobolo Hogue monogrip (which I just put on, so pardon the picture; it looks so sweet I have to play show'n'tell: ;) )
625.jpg

Back