Best .40 S&W Load for Pig?

Ikari

Hello everybody. I'm going to have the opportunity to do some pig hunting this month and next month. I'll be using an SKS with 123-grain soft point bullets, and carrying my XD-40 as backup. What, in your opinion, is the most effective bullet design/weight for pigs in California? I'll be going after pigs under 175 lbs. I know .40 isn't the first choice for this job, but it's all I've got.

You'll need penetration rather more than you will expansion, if California pigs are anything like their Louisiana brethren... I'd suggest a good heavy bullet, in FMJ format, rather than a hollow-point. On the other hand, if a modicum of expansion is required, try the Remington Golden Saber 165gr. JHP - good penetration, reasonably good expansion, and perhaps a better choice than the slower 180gr. JHP's on both counts. Just my $0.02 worth...

Odds are, if you use the pistol at all, it'll be for coup-de-grace on a hog that's down but not yet dead.

If you're not taking a hurried shot at a big old sow or boar and wind up with a bad hit, and all of a sudden you find that somebody else that's bigger than you wants to do grievous bodily harm, you probably will never have to worry. Unhurt, hogs tend to work hard at being where you're not. :)

Folks down in the Florida swamps are pretty strong in their view that the best eating is the 40-60 pound range. Doesn't mean they'll turn down a second helping off a larger hog, of course.

Best luck,

Art

Back