Best 38spl+p JHP for 4" GP100?

TCW

The 4" GP100 is my HD revolver. I'm interested in getting the most effective 38spl+p JHP. The .357 mags are too much for the wife. Right now I have 38spl+p 125gr Gold Dots, but I've heard there are better for this caliber (Corbon 110gr...) Thanks! TCW

My preferred .38 load for my 4" 686 is the Winchester 158gr. +P LHP.

If I wanted to use a JHP, I'd go with either the Federal or Remington 125gr. +P.

I second the suggestion of the .38 +P 158 grain LHP/LSWC-HP in a 4" gun. Remington slightly preferred, but Winchester or Federal would suit me just fine too.

A lead hollowpoint expands much better at lower velocities. Personally, I believe that's why the .357mag bullets still outperform the .357sig.

I use the 158 lead SWC/HP +P.
I chronographed three brands but only from one lot each, and it was about five years ago.
In a 4" barreled S&W model 10 the Winchester load was the fastest over Remington and Federal. They were all within about 50 fps, but the Winchester was consistently the fastest at right around 900 fps if I remember right.

Neil Casper

I like the Cor-Bon defensive loads. Both in .38spec and .357mag. Recoil moderate, good bullet performance and the flash causes minimal loss of night vision.

Sam....bang is good, BANG is gooder.

Back