Best 38 spl. for concealed carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJT

Inactive
Hey,

What 38 spl. do yall think is the best for concealed carry? I would guess it would most definately have to have a bobbed hammer for snag-proof draw.What guns should I check out?Also,I own a Glock 27 I carry concealed(legally),would there even be a reason I should check out any 38 snubbies? Would "the right" 38 spl. carry any better than my G27? Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,

Bobby

I am going to buy a G26 and put an Alchemy Arms Glock Carry Clip on it. Why sacrifice power load and bullet capacity for a 5 shot revolver? Accuracy will suffer. If you get a J-frame Smith put a clipdraw on it. Is the G27 bothering you concealed? The J-frames are lighter , they hold less ammo and are less accurate. Maybe it will be more comfortable?

RJT - I have a Glock 26 and its a great pistol but, for me, it is to wide and heavy to seriously consider as a pocket pistol. I just purchased a S&W 442. True, it carries half the rounds and is less accurate but you can carry it in your pocket and it will not print. At 15 yards its right on. It is lighter and much easier to pack. If I use a holster then a larger pistol goes in it.

Hello. I suggest either an S&W M442 in blue or the 642 if you prefer stainless. These are my favorites with the Bodyguard M438 a close second. I load mine with Federal std pressure 125 gr Nyclad HPs. Best.

I am not a big fan of .38's BUT I carried one (S&W 649)for a lone time because it was small, narrow and I carried it instead of leaving it in the car like the slightly larger 9MM auto that I really wanted to carry.

Bottom line is to buy what you will carry... not what is the most powerful. I like my Glock 21 but unless I am wearing a heavy coat, it is impossible to hide. And if it stays in the car what good is it? ANY gun on you is better than the most powerful gun that stays in your house or car. You have to be honest with yourself while making this decision.

I have a taurus model 85 ti multi-alloy
(38-spec +P) that is very light and easy to carry in a pocket holster.

It is easy to shoot and accurate.

I keep it loaded now with Fed Nyclads, although I may try to get triton quikshok ammo.

I am also looking at Taurus's bigger caliber TI models in 44 special, 45 long colt, or 41 magnum as they are lightweight and shoot a large bullet.

The J Frame S&Ws are probably the best compromise for CC. However, the 3 inch bbl is better than the 2 inch for a couple of reasons. Sight radius, less flash in low light, better recovery, slightly higher velocity,and they tend to pack flatter, since the bbl makes a better lever at the longer length.

The old Colt Official Police(base weapon for the Detective Special) is rather dated now, but they will handle +P ammo, have buttery smooth actions and most folks just plain like them. A gunsmith can prune the standard 4 inch bbl back if needed.

A S&W Model 12, the K Frame Airweight, is bigger and harder to conceal, but both it and the Model 10 will give great service.

BTW, one ammo option for alloy frame weapons is target wadcutters. Accurate,inexpensive, swift recovery and the soft lead bullet deforms easily with the square shoulder aiding energy transfer.

RJT:

Stephen Camp and I are in full agreement on this...

First choice is a S&W Mod 42/442/642 Centennial. Second choice is a Mod 38 Bodyguard. Third choice is a Chiefs Special w/bobbed hammer.

I think the "best" one for you to carry concealed is the one you shoot effectively and consistently, whether its your Glock or one of the J frame Smiths.

Mike

I like my Centennial in Airweight flavor. There is a quite a difference in your pocket between an all steel version and an aluminum one.

I had the 357, but it was too blamed heavy, kept almost pulling my pants down! :(

------------------
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel!

FWIW, my two regular carry guns are a Glock 26 (much preferred) and a S&W .38 Bodyguard Airweight. I carry the Smith when my hot-weather clothing won't comfortably conceal the somewhat greater bulk and weight of the Glock.

I'm real fond of the Colt Detective Special (second issue model). I used one as my primary CCW gun for about two years and never felt undergunned. They are a little bigger than S&W J-frames and hold six shots. They are also +P rated. If you get lucky, you might even find the lightweight version called the Cobra. You'd be amazed at how much better it shoots than the Smiths.
Colt doesn't make them anymore, but there are still plenty of good ones on the used market. DO NOT get the SF VI or the DSII, they are junk.

The 638 is an Airweight bodyguard style that fits my needs very well. Conceals better than my fat, blocky Glock 27. Is very lightweight, even fully loaded. Aluminum/stainless steel construction.

Accuracy? The first day I shot it, I hit a target 130 yards away on the first shot that my friends were missing with their 6" barreled sixguns. Did I try to duplicate it? No, but the results still speak for themselves.

Sure, I'd rather have a 10 shot forty, but I just can't conceal the thing with my build and choices of clothing. I'm very pleased with my 638.

Try the Taurus 85 in Stainless. It's 100 bucks cheaper than the Smith and sad to say way more reliable. Taurus really does a nice job. And a lifetime guarantee. I quit with the Smith J frames when I had S&W argue with me over warranty work. The Taurus so far for me has never needed repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back