Best .357 magnum ammo for range

KLCane

I am a firearms beginner and brand new to the board. I have a Ruger gp100. Looking for good range ammo. I want something that will slide cases out of the cylinder without having to pick each one out one-by-one after shooting.

Thanks.

You can shoot 38 Special in your 357 Magnum revolver. But good cleaning of the chambers is important in order to remove a carbon ring that could make chambering 357 magnum rounds.
The outside physical difference in 38 Spcl. and 357 Magnum is that the magnum round is 1/10" longer so they can't be used in a 38 Spcl. chambered gun.
That leaves a small gap that fouling can build up in.
You shouldn't have to pick each case out of a GP100. It has a swing out cylinder, and ejector rod that pushes a "star" holding the case rims out of the cylinder.

Agree with Cheapshooter. What are you shooting now causing you to have to pluck the fired brass out of the chambers? There is something definatley amiss. How do you clean your revolver and how often?

I have only fired about 200 rounds on it. Haven't cleaned it yet. I'm going to clean it before taking it to the range this week.

Any opinions on the best range ammo for 357 mag??

I suggest you stay with a 158gr bullet...and in retail ammo in this caliber I would recommend Magtech 158gr JSP......./ ...quite a few guys that I know that don't reload are happy with it. You might also try Win or Federal.....

Stay away from lighter weight bullets...125gr, etc....a lot of that is pretty hot and might cause some issues.

One load my 3” GP100 likes a lot is the American Eagle 158gn jacketed soft point. Very accurate, easy shooting load that hits the steel plates my club has pretty hard.

What are you shooting now causing you to have to pluck the fired brass out of the chambers? There is something definatley amiss.
Yes, as mentioned earlier why are you taking each individual case out. Is there a problem with the ejector rod or star? Is this a new gun, or used? If you can't eject the spent cases in the normal way there very well may be a problem with the gun, not the ammo. What ammo were you shooting?

Yes, what ammo is sticking in the chamber? I ask that question earlier. We need clarity in order to help you.

Always properly clean your gun before shooting it for the first time even if it looks clean.

Is this a new or used revolver? If used has a gunsmith examined the gun? (unless you feel qualified to do so)

If you're not reloading, you'll have to try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo your GP shoots best. The price of it means nothing.
However, as mentioned, if having to pick each one out, you're either not familiar with how the thing works or something else is wrong. All six empties should come out easily when you push the ejector rod.
Read the manual.
http://stevespages.com/pdf/ruger_gp100.pdf

I want something that will slide cases out of the cylinder without having to pick each one out one-by-one after shooting.
Watch the entire video. But most pertinent to your question is at about 3:12 to 3:28.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...61CED6820FCCF612C77F61CED6820FCCF61&FORM=VIRE
Please do not be offended, but if you did not know this you really need to take some basic handgun classes.
If you do know the operation of the ejector rod and star, and are having to pick spent cases out one at a time there is a problem with the gun. Or a potential very hazardous problem with the ammo you are using.
The ammo by chance isn't some gun show ziplock bag reloads, or a friends hot handloads are they?

Thanks for responses. The ejector works fine, but I've noticed certain ammo sticks more than others. I'm going to give it a good cleaning and take some of your advice for the ammo I use. Thanks!

Clean your gun after every range trip....at least pull a bore snake with clp on it through cylinders and barrel. Wipe it down with CLP and a rag . Don't let the crud build up ...the harder it will be to remove later .

357 magnum loads are high pressure, high pressure loads grip the cylinder walls harder....dirty cylinder walls grip even harder , that's why you get hard extraction.

Shoot some target or low velocity 38 special loads, less pressure = easy extraction.
Clean the cylinders after firing 38 specials...every time. Build up will hinder 357 magnum chambering and extraction.

Gary

What was mentioned regarding purchasing a .22 is a very good idea for a number of reasons. Shooting a hundgun well takes a lot of practice, much more than a rifle. The ammo is only about $25.00 for 500 rounds or about a nickel a round. Even remanufactured .38 Special ammo is not cheap unless you reload. It is easier/faster to get good with a .22 than a .357 or even .38 Special because there is very little blast and recoil.
To me as well as a lot of people who have been shooting for decades a .22 is a very fun gun to use.
I keep a .22 not so much for cost savings, I reload, but because I enjoy shooting something with little recoil and blast. A full power .357 load can be tiring if you try to shoot say 250-300 rounds at a sitting which is easy with a .22. Best wishes on your new hobby.

Best .357 magnum ammo for range
simple answer...Any standard pressure 38 Special.
Unless you just enjoy the recoul, and extra cost of magnum ammunition.
If it is just range plinking, other than the boom factor why bother with the full house mahnums.

I clean my guns every time back home from the range. I also have brushes in my gear if a gun gets dirty and balks while shooting. Can't help on the ammo, because my solution for all my magnums was to reload my own for something that I would call fun for more than a few rounds. I shoot what is stamped on the barrel, so all my .357 gun shooting is with .357 cases. I have 38 Special guns if that is what I want to shoot.

Back