Best .32ACP defense ammo for Guardian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWM

Hello,

I'm trying to decide on a good self-defense round for my Guardian .32ACP. I would like something very effective, but not "hot" enough to put excessive wear-n-tear on the gun, if that is possible in this caliber.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

DWM

I also recommend the Silvertips. I have ran many of them through my Guardian without a hitch. I tried the Fiocchi JHPs, but they did not feed well. If I remember correctly, the longer overall length was the culprit. --- BE

------------------
911 = Government sponsored dial-a-prayer

Greetings. I have little experience with .32acp, but my wife's Walther PP is loaded with Hornady factory XTPs. They feed better than Silvertips did and I feel they'll penetrate a bit more as well. This std pressure load would probably be worth looking at in the smaller .32s as well. Best.

The TRUTH is that we really don't have a consensus on 32acp yet. The TRUTH used to be that Win Silvertips were the way to go. But now that there are five different pocket 32s, we are starting to see more offerings.

Some people say to go with hot ball ammo to maximize penetration. Fiocchi JHP seems to be the fastest JHP, with S&B coming in a close second, and Blazers are a close third.

Some people still use Silvertips. It is SAID that Silvertips are the most reliable expanders. (Although I haven't seen any proof of this.) Fiocchi also has a JHP that is pretty hot.

There are also the prefrag rounds available. I've seen prefrags like Magsafe ammo sold at most gun shows. Given the lack of penetration of the 32acp round, I am very leary of the prefrags in this caliber. And it is very expensive to function test!!!

If you want some info to mull over, go to: <A HREF="http://www.naaminis.com/vel32new.html]http://www.naaminis.com/vel32new.html[/URL" TARGET=_blank>
and read the data that North American has worked up out of the Guardian. You can also go to: http://www.naaminis.com/wwwboard/</A>
This is the URL for North American's Message Boards and ask there.

Personally, I don't see any reason to believe any point of view over any other. There just doesn't seem to be enough good data to prove one way or the other. I have carried Silvertips, Fiocchi JHP and FMJ, and even S&B FMJ at one time or another in my Guardian. My only decision so far is that I will carry FMJ in the winter, since the FMJ rounds are a little faster and should penetrate winter clothing better. Right now my gun is loaded with Silvertips.

BTW, I don't think that any of these rounds are "too hot" for the gun. Remenber, the Guardian is a good sized hunk of stainless steel - go for the hottest round you can handle.

Sorry I couldn't give you a good answer, but I hope this has helped somewhat!!!

[This message has been edited by Gino (edited September 05, 1999).]

I think the Silvertips have been around the longest which is why people shoot them. I have the Autauga MkII and use the Silvertips for practice. For conventional ammo I like the Gold Dot (which does not work well for me yet) and the Federal Hydra-Shock. I do have both MafSafe and Glaser Blue ammo. The MagSafes being what I carry for the first two rounds that get fired. The 'lack of penetration' is not even a concern.

I have now seen at least 2 separate reports on recommended ammo for .32 ACP's.

One was by a recognised author of the Marshall & Sanow school of thought and the second was the well respected Firearms Tactical Institute which was reviewing the former study. Both agreed that JHP's of any type in .32 ACP were a waste of money and recommended the use of plain FMJ's to achieve the required level of penetration, if you step up to the use of JHP's in .380's, recommended loads are the Remington Golden Sabre at a heavy 102 gr for penetration and second the Hydrashok at 90 gr for speed and reliability of performance.

------------------
Mike H

Speer Gold Dots.
They function perfectly in my
Guardian.

[This message has been edited by Greg G (edited September 06, 1999).]

I would recommend Fiocchi ball as they feed well, are reliable and accurate and penetrate far enough. Cheapo US-made ball might not feed as well and Silvertips are lighter (60gr vs. 71 or 73) and are too likely to underpenetrate, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back