Best 30-06 deer hunting ammo....

jhgreasemonkey

Whats your opinon? Deer at medium to 300yd ranges. Large Muley. I have been interested in trying out the federal fusion. This will be the first year hunting with the 30-06. I have previously shot deer with .270 and 7mm with federal classic. Didnt have any problems. Just curious about the other hunters prefferences out there. Thanks.:)

No such thing as BAD 30.06 Ammo. Just some shoots in your gun better than others. Find the brand your rifle likes best in a 150 to 180 grain range, and go for it.

Yea. I like the Remington polymer tipped bullets personally. Do my deer shooting with 165gr Premier Accutip Boattails. Group nicely and pack plenty of punch, although I might go to 150gr this coming season, because the 165gr drill right through and don't seem to expand a whole lot. Not much damage to the animal either, just a clean line through, but I'd like something to have something smaller that might deposit a bit more energy by sticking around in the event of a shot that doesn't put it down where it stands.

Mine likes

Winchester gxp2 have used the power pt. also the win gxp2 silvertip.
both 150gr. my 06 likes them a lot. does ok with the remington stuff :rolleyes: but i guess winchester like's winchester :D
I hunt blacktail and so far none have run off when hit with winchester ammo
did have to put another round in one once with reminton tho :(
MHO try the slivertip's on muleys, or go up to the win supreme gxp3. 165gr nosler. plan to use them on Elk :D

165gr Premier Accutip Boattails

+1 and like bclark1, I am considering going down to 150gr. The 165s go through fast, but they have all been 1 shot kills. Knock on wood (and keep practicing...).

My buddy who reloads is building some -06 with 150 accubonds and his dad's load studies. I will let you know when we get some to the range, but that doesn't really answer your question.

I've almost always used a 150-grain bullet. Rem Bronze Point, Hornady, Sierra. I've found this Federal Premium High Energy 165-grain (I think that's the name) to be very accurate in my rifle; good as my handloads.

Art

they have all been 1 shot kills.
ha, maybe we've found the proverbial "magic bullet" with the track record we've got, then.

to the winchester silvertips, one range trip i was out of my accutips as was the range store, but i really wanted to put a few more downrange before the season. anyway, we looked into it, and one of the silvertip variants is all-but-identical, ballistically speaking, to the accutips. i don't know about terminal performance, but i just remember the velocity and drop out to like 400 yards were really close, putting them downrange with the same zero confirmed it was pretty good too, i could've hunted with them comfortably. the accutips just really stay tight out of my gun though.

I used Remington Core-Lokt for a few years, but wasn't too impressed. I since then switched to Winchester Silvertips then to Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. These have produced great results. I hightly reccommend them. Buy a few brands and see what shoots best from your gun.

One thing I like about the '06: For bullets of 150 to 180 grains, there's not much difference in trajectory to 300 yards, and it doesn't really matter whether they're boat-tailed or flat-based.

Sight in for two inches high at 100, and you're right at dead-on at 200. That takes care of probably 90% of all deer and elk hunting. Out at 300, the drop is gonna be six to seven inches; how do you tell the difference?

Unless you're really "all married up" to your rifle, you most likely shouldn't be going beyond 300 yards, anyway. :)

Art

Cool. Thanks for all the info. I picked up a couple boxes of 150grain core lockt rem ammo because it was on sale. Went out yesterday and practiced. I'm really looking forward to this hunting season. Thanks!

Back