Best 3 X 9 X 40 scope for the money?

Nimitz

Inactive
Helly everyone. I just purchased a Browning A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker (7mm Mag). I am looking for a good, economically priced scope. I have found a leupold for $229, but I also saw a Nikon Buckmaster for $169. Is the Nikon equal in quality? Any other suggestions? Thanks for your input.

Nimitz: I hate buying scopes or binoculars by mail order. My suggestion would be to go to one of the larger gun shows where there are several dealers who specialize in scopes and other optics. Stick with the brand names you trust, and check several different scopes out first hand. You can't see how well the adjustments will hold up just by looking through one indoors, but at least you'll know if the image quality is good enough to suit your tastes. Leupold and Nikon are reputable brand names, and would stand behind their products if a problem arises.

Nimitz-
I own both Leupold and Nikon scopes. Although I do not have a Nikon Buckmaster, I have several Nikon pistol scopes on Contender barrels. For the money, rock solid reputation, clarity, and customer service, I would recommend a Leupold. I have several Vari-X II 3x9x40 and am well pleased. I even have one in silver to match a SS 7mag. Another scope to check into might be a B&L (not Bushnell but true B&L).
As Flatlander said, a good place to buy is a gun show. At least check out the various brands @ the stores before you go the mail-order route. That way you what you at purchasing.
Cris

You didn't say what you wanted to spend money wise. It's hard to beat a Tasco 3x9 World Class for $79.00. Lifetime warranty, good optics, better low light abilitys than the Leupold. I have both the Leupold VarX111 and the Tasco World Class and the Tasco is mounted on my favorite elk rifle in 7 mag. It's not quite as clear on the edges but in low light it's BETTER than the Leupold. For the money I paid for my Leupold I could of bought 4 Tasco's - wish I did now. Flame on guys if you want, but you can prove it too yourself - if you want to be disapointed in your Leupold. Most big game moves at low light conditions (early morning-late evenings), thus my preference for the Tasco...not to mention the cost savings.

Wal-Mart sells a Simmons 3-9 X 40 in matte black for less than $50. I don't have a clue how the optics compare, but it might be worth a trip to the mall.

slymule may well be right on this one..but, I paid the $ for a 3x9x40 vari X II and have been real happy with it. Dial in 1/2 moa and that is the result at the target every time, even after prolonged use. Been frustrated too many times by budget scopes. Money saved in the long run.

Back