Best 22lr pistol and good trigger upgrade

cjacobs

Hi all,

I am looking to get a 22lr pistol that will be suppressed. But, most importantly I need to be able to upgrade it with a clean, crisp, light trigger. Looking for a trigger pull around 2lbs. Any recommendations for pistol and trigger upgrade?

SW 22 Victory with a Volquartsen Barrel. Out of the box 3 to 3.5 lbs trigger and adjustable trigger stop and short reset.

I like my Ruger 22/45 MkII with a Volquartsen trigger kit. Very good 2.25 pound trigger pull. Can't get a new MkII any longer, but with patience you may find a good used one, or go with the MkIII. I think, but don't hold me to it, the MkIII is available with a threaded barrel ready for a suppressor.

Last edited:
I've been shooting 3 Volquatsen 22/45 Target frames with a mix of Ruger barrels and parts and just recently purchased a Pac-Lite upper to add into the mix. I have put Volquartsen kits in Ruger MKIII and 22/45's 8 kits total for myself and friends with great results each time. I really prefer the MK series because of it's durability, availability of after market parts to adapt the gun to yourself. Also with the MK series you don't have to mess with screws that come loose on you plus you can dry fire them without any harm to the gun. I consider dry firing a very important part of training of trigger control and sight picture.

Last edited:
I'm not the biggest fan of the looks of the Ruger 22/45 and similar guns, but I think for what I want...I'm going to have to go that route. I was considering the ruger sr22 but it doesn't seem like you can replace the trigger or anything. And I do not want to be stuck with a difficult trigger.

I've had the Ruger and it was ok, but I like my Browning Camper UFX much better. Bull barrel, a real tack driver, easy to take apart and priced under $400.
BrowningBuckMark.jpg
[/IMG]

"I am looking to get a 22lr pistol that will be suppressed. But, most importantly I need to be able to upgrade it with a clean, crisp, light trigger. Looking for a trigger pull around 2lbs. Any recommendations for pistol and trigger upgrade?"

I have one right here. It's a Ruger 22/45 with 4" threaded barrel, Volquartson sear and hammer, and TandemKross hammer bushing.
I've shot the pistol with an extended muzzle weight which helps settle it on the sandbags and a 3x scope out to 100 yards. It's "rifle accurate" at that range.
With sub-sonic ammo and a cheap muffler, it's acceptably quiet.
The trigger is user friendly beyond most expectations. I don't know if it's 2# but it's far lighter than you'd want to use with gloves.

I'm not the biggest fan of the looks of the Ruger 22/45 and similar guns, but I think for what I want...I'm going to have to go that route. I was considering the ruger sr22 but it doesn't seem like you can replace the trigger or anything. And I do not want to be stuck with a difficult trigger.

I chose a lowly Ruger 22/45 Target. It turned out to be a very expensive mistake. It gave me a bug and the only way to cure it was to buy a full size 1911 in 9mm. My RIA Rock feels, aims and shoots just like my 22/45 but with moderate recoil. The 22/45 makes a good gun for practice as it and the 1911 are so similar, including accuracy.

If you want to go full size, the S&W M&P .22LR and if you want to go compact, the Walther P-22 .22LR.

BOTH use the same barrel retaining nut system that is easily replaced with a 1/2x28 adapter for suppressor use.

BOTH are proven platforms with suppressors attached and Aguila's excellent 60 grain SSS ammo!

I bought a S&W Victory about a month ago and it's just excellent. Plus you can get other barrels for it. One of them is threaded if you want to use a suppressor. The trigger is just excellent right out of the box. I love mine!!:D

Only one American made pistol has won Camp Perry consistently. To go a little out of the ordinary get a High Standard Supermatic.

I know nothing of the new ones, my Hamden CT built First gen. Supermatic drives tacks when I do my part. You won't need much if any trigger work if mine is a typical example.

The old High Standards just ooze quality.

For ordinary it's hard to beat the parts and support of the Ruger MK. series. Yes it's a little difficult to disassemble the first couple times. Keep at it, it really is not. If you are capable of following instructions......

The Ruger is more of a "blank slate" it's intriguing to me to consider the barrel quick release system of High Standard along with another barrel for suppressor use.

Back