Best .223 ammo

Bushwhacker

What is everyones brand of the best .223 ammo they have used for plinking or hunting, defense.
What rifle used?
TIA

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

I like the Sellier and Bellot steel-cased stuff for plinking with my AR. Although it is said that steel-cased ammo will speed wear-and-tear on the rifle, I have experienced no problems....yet.

I like the South African PMP stuff with the gazelle on the box. Accurate and clean in my Bushmasters and new 16" oly.

I like the IMI Israeli stuff even more, but the SA .223 is a lot cheaper and easier to find. Again for the ARs.

Mini-14 likes UMC and PMC ammo better than the surplus stuff.

I take what I can get for plinking.. lately I've been shooting a lot of "Pentrator" 62gr that I bought several years ago and needs rotating, been restocking with a lot of various surplus.

I like the Ballistic Silvertip for Varmints..

Black Hills 55 gr.softpoints are the most accurate in my rifles. My handloads are more accurate, but just marginally so. Good ammo, very consistent.

Have had no trouble with either the Russian steel cased stuff nor PMC.

I have had TONS of trouble with the Israeli surplus, mainly with case head separations.

Haven't had a chance to shoot any SA stuff.

This month its SA PMP ammo, thats what I have the most of at the moment. It seems to work just fine, very clean, good accuracy, good brass, etc, etc...
Oh yeah it`s fairly cheap.

Well, it sure isn't Malaysian surplus ball. This is the worst stuff I've ever seen in .223. My AUG detests it, and two HK93s repeatedly misfired with it. If an HK won't shoot it, something is badly wrong.

Hirtenberg SS109 (or whatever the Austrians call it...) shoots very well. Too bad it cost so much. It was good stuff. South African military ball was also pretty good.

Generally, though, I like .223 handloads best of all. .223 is so cheap to reload it isn't even funny. Vast amounts of components can be had for a pittance. Then it's only a matter of time to slap everything together. Best of all, my standard .223 load outshoots any military ball I've bought. The only stuff that shot better was Federal Blitz.

Back