Best 1851 Navy Video Ever

You're right Fingers, that was excellent! I make Youtube videos and that was very well scripted and edited, and all without narration. I would recommend this video to anyone who loves shooting Colt's 1851 Navy.

+1 Swath.

Wasn't done in the old times. The cowboy action crowd does it for competition, but back when your life counted on your gun, all chambers would have been loaded on the '51 Navy. That's what Sam Colt invented the safety pins in the first place.

@Model12Win

Wasn't done in the old times. The cowboy action crowd does it for competition, but back when your life counted on your gun, all chambers would have been loaded on the '51 Navy. That's what Sam Colt invented the safety pins in the first place.

Agreed on the first Bold.

On the second Bold:

Actually, the first 1851 Navies that Colt produced had only one safety pin, vs. 6 pins on later production pistols. When used, the in-between-cylinder pin position put undo pressure on the bolt-trigger spring (considering the metals of the day) causing the bolt to possibly not fully lock into position (if left in that configuration for a period of time) when in the fire/full cock position. This was recognized by the Manhattan Firearms Company (prior to the Civil War) who patented the 12-bolt-stop-slot to remedy this problem. Later, Rigdon and Ansley did the same (while not concerned with Manhattan patent infringement in the Confederacy) with that version of the 1851 iron/steel frame part-round barrel L&R after the original Leech & Rigdon contract of 1500 revolvers had been fulfilled by Rigdon and Ansley. (As to the original L&R contract, after about SN ~1000, no L&R pistols were made with the safety pins.)

Rererences: " '51 Colt Navies", Nathan L Swayze; "Confederate Handguns", Chapter 5, William A. Albaugh III and others.

Last edited:
The firecracker-like odor of black powder and the licorice smell of Ballistol are just massive turn ons for me. It just smells like a good time. :)

Back