Best 11'' AR upper under $1000

Mrgunsngear

Now that I have my NFA trust set up, 2012 will be my "year of the NFA guns" :D

I know alot of ARs under 11'' have issues with the recoil/blowback systems and having enough powder burning, ect... I'm not really interested in sub 2 moa accuracy or anything like that, I just want a reliable system. I'd like it to be under $1200 but if there's a really reliable one way under that price that's fine too; just not over. Let me know what ya'll think. Thanks.

Put your own together. For less than $100 worth of tools, and a few free online videos/tutorials, you have the ability to make it however you want. I'd look into a 300 BLK. My 10" runs great and packs a whole lot more energy than 223 out of a short barrel.

I'd like to and I'm not against it but I know when the 10-12'' uppers first came out there were some issues and I'm just trying to avoid that. The option is certainly on the table though... :D

Olympic Arms 6.5 inch!

I have two 6.5 inch Oly uppers, one on an SBR and one on a pistol. One was bought as is and one was built from a stripped flat top upper and stripped barrel. Both are on stripped lowers that I assembled.

Both function flawlessly (after a little tweaking) and give accuracy that I was not expecting from such a short barrel. They are not going to shoot 500 yd bullseyes, but out to 150 yds (the furthest I've shot them) they both put every shot on a paper plate.

The A2 was about $500 complete. I have quite a bit more in the flat top since I built it to particular specs.

I installed T2 heavy buffers in each, as well as heavy weight recoil springs to help tame the super fast action. With stock buffer and springs I would get FTE because the chamber pressure hadn't dropped enough to allow extraction. I also have a PWS heavy BCG in the SBR.

Long story short... You can get total reliability and more than acceptable accuracy out of barrels as short as 6.5 inches if everything comes together. And having an AR rifle that is a little over 24 inches overall is pretty damn sweet too :)

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

Ridge Runner---I just saw that kit myself on slickguns.com... Good thing I only live about 10 mins away from palmetto state armory! I'm going to check the kits out today and pick up a bunch of Blazer 45 ACP they've got for $13.99 too... That's Black Friday shopping for me :D

My LMT 10.5" upper with VTac rail, Aimpoint Micro on a LaRue mount and a SureFire G2X in a VTac mount. Without all the goodies, the uppers run around $500.

87b9eb19.jpg

I actually ended up trading a Kimber Ultra Carry that I didn't like and got a DPMS 10.5'' heavy barrel (chrome lined) with yankee hill integrated front flip up sight. It's also got a yankee Hill flash suppressor and free float quad rail on it.

I told the guy I didn't really care about the lower since I have tons but he said he didn't want it either so I go that too. Everything you see in the pic. Until I get my stamp back, this is what I'll be forced to fire it with...

I threw the red dot on there just for kicks...

IMAG0577.jpg

Not too shabby.

I ordered one of those pistol kits from PSA on Friday...the email said it would be delivered tomorrow, but the tracking number says they haven't even picked it up yet :(

This link and links on the page will help you understand which makes the best AR parts. Study up!! BCM probably would be a great choice for the $$$ spent, IMOhttps://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AqmgMm61Ok7WdExwaG16OENzOEZ1akp2a3Y2NjMxTEE&single=true&gid=2&output=html

I agree with others on this. It's easier and cheaper to build your own. You can set it up the way you want, with the parts you want. Just shop it around.

My own SBR
6095_668334335577_10618535_39275737_1026723_n.jpg

Some slight alterations and with the AAC M4-2000 attached.
69881_779454235407_10618535_43275501_5738937_n.jpg

Back