Bersa thunder pro compact 9mm?

9mm

It's the only full metal, compact pistol under $400 I could find, outside of the new S&W CSX.

This gun has been produced since 94/97 from the wiki page, and I can barely find any negative reviews or complaints. (Magazines out of stock)

Does anyone here own one? I'm trying to find one locally to pick up. I'm tried of $400 plastic guns and this would fit the bill for me at $372.

So I didnt have the Thunder Pro 9, I had the Thunder 380. One in duo tone, one combat. They were reliable and a pretty great gun for the price. I ended up giving one to each of my sisters when they moved away. Are they Walther PPK quality? No. Are they reliable and easy to shoot? Yep. They also come in .22lr which is nice for practice.

A LGS has a couple of the full-size TPR9 pistols. Fit and finish are good, ergonomics seem very good, the recoil spring seems a bit heavier than average for similar guns, and the trigger is very much middle-of-the-road.

I was somewhat interested in the TPR9c last year, but stayed away from buying one due to support questions. Bersa's long-time US importer went out of business June 30, 2021. Bersa subsequently created a US subsidiary to handle imports, but it has taken nearly a year just to put up a minimal website that has contact information and (within the last month) a product catalog.

You might check the two dedicated Bersa forums for more model-specific information.

I have had 3 variants of the Bersa thunder. The BT.380, BT.380cc and the BT.380 Plus. Never had an issue with any of them except those caused by me.:o

I had a thunder 380 years back. Great little gun. It did take about 100rnds to break in. Had a few failures to feed the first couple time with the new mags. After that it ran without a hiccup.

I thought the full size Thunder 9 was interesting until I found that the big convenient looking lever was not a cocked and locked safety.

What broke on it ?

Let's see. Hammer follow. Firing pin. And something else, I think firing pin retaining plate.

Sent it in to a authorized repair place for the first, who covered it under warranty even though I wasn't the original owner. Bersa's distributor at the time had almost all parts on their website for purchase, so I took care of the other problems myself.

This was, I think, 2015, so my recollection may not be totally correct.

ergonomics seem very good,

My recollection as well.

The Thunder .380 is the only gun I have ever sold and then bought another of after regretting a sale.

Accurate, great trigger, reliable, and s/double action with a thumb safety in just the right spot. Great ergonomics.

I’m not saying the little pocket pistols are like holding a cherry bomb in your bare hand, but the Bersa is the “biggest pocket pistol” and heaviest, too. The few ounces of extra weight matter more for recoil when the pistol you have weighs about the same as a loaded magazine,

Count me as another who regrets selling off my Bersas! Had the Thunder 9 Compact, Thunder 380 Plus, Thunder 380, and Thunder 380 CC. All of them were great shooting (especially the 380 Plus, loved that little 15+1 pipsqueak), and the Thunder 9 Compact was at least for me, a better shooter than my CZ 2075 RAMI for being in a similar size category as my Glock 26.

I was given the .40 S&W version by a friend several years ago. Great pistol! Comparable to my Sigs in built quality and had one of the best DA triggers I've ever had on an auto.

He had changed out the sights for a big orange/tritium dot front and white tritium rear that make it a first rate defensive gun. Well worth the money in my estimation. Accuracy is ~3-4" at 25 yds with most any brand I've tried. Best regards, Rod

I had a Bersa . . . .

I had a Bersa in 9mm. It was compact enough to carry. Had trouble with the slide staying back. Sent it in for repairs. Don't recall why I sold it off.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I have the Thunder Pro Ultra Compact .45, bought in about 2011 or so. Good gun, never had a problem with it. The 9mm is the same general design as the 45. When practicing, I shoot it one-handed both left and right hands, and two-handed. Never has a problem with jams or cycling. I find it to be quite accurate when fired with 2 hands using the sights.

I like the DA/SA action. It has a decocker which doubles as a safety. The DA pull is reasonable, but enough resistance to feel safe carrying it hammer down and safety off, if you are concerned. Or you can keep the decocker/safety engaged, and just flip it down when you are ready to fire.

It has an issue (if you want to call it that) where it shoots true to point of aim. The front sight has a white dot. The bullet will go where that dot is.

Meaning when shooting targets, if you put the bullseye on top of the sight picture, it will appear to shoot low.

So you have to cover the target with the front sight. The sights are not height adjustable, but the model I have is compatible with SIG sights, so I could replace the front and/or rear sights to move the point of impact up or down to my preferences. Or replace with tritium sights or any other SIG compatible sights.

I was not concerned enough for either the cost or hassle of doing that, so I just adapted to how it naturally is sighted.

I also have the Thunder 380, purchased around the same time. It is a different design, but same company. One of my favorite pistols. Fun to shoot, accurate, reliable.

Both are decent guns for the price, or were when I bought them. I don't know what the current state of affairs is for parts or warranty work.

They are both fine firearms when considered on their own merits.

Don't know about the particular model you are talking about, bit a number of years ago I bought a used Bersa 380CC - I liked the way it felt and was planning on using it for a sometime "carry". look it home and shot - it had a hair trigger and no way I would use it for a carry piece. Took it back and they took it back no argument. I watched their "smith" take it apart and it seems the previous owner, Bubba, "tuned it up". When they took it in from Bubba, they just did a cursory check, a part time kid cleaned and oiled it and put it in the case.

Would I buy another Bersa? You bet I would and if I can ever run across a new Bersa 380 in stock I will snatch it up - I would even buy 2 if I could - one for an alternate carry and one for a house gun tucked away out of sight but handy to get to.

Bersa .380 Thunderer. Great purse or briefcase carry gun. Safely carry with a round in the chamber, hammer down, safety off. First shot double action, then short, single action after that. Also fine for IWB although kind of small for that and for me, a little too big for pocket carry. Also kind of heavy being all metal. Shoots great and reliable with all good quality, self defense ammo.

Back