• Bersa Thunder .380

Votes: 55 88.7%
  • Public Defender Poly .410/.45

Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Azrael 725

Inactive
Hi guys, I've been on this site a lot and finally decided to get an account because I'm caught between a big decision. As of right now I've been carrying a full size 1911 in 9mm. I would like to get something else because my new job requires me to move around and reach for stuff a lot, so I want to get something a little smaller and more concealable.

I have shot a Bersa and I do like it. It also has that cool factor because it is similar to the PPK. I would like to get a Public Defender Poly because the idea of shooting .410 from a handgun has always intrigued me. The Poly, to me, is also just kind of badass looking. I would most likely load it up with 000 buck from Federal or the Lehigh Maximum Expansion. I'm stuck so I need your help! Let me know and hopefully I can make a decision. If you have any other suggestions let me know!

I carry a Bersa. It's very comfortable. I don't like the idea of ,410 in a handgun but that's just my preference.

I would like to get something else because my new job requires me to move around and reach for stuff a lot, so I want to get something a little smaller and more concealable.

Consider a .38 snubbie. Then practice, practice, practice.

Perhaps I am not understanding you correctly, but your post reads like you want to change carry guns to get something easier to have on you than your current 1911. If my understanding of your need and desire is correct, I can't see how the Taurus is in the running. There is a long list of 9 mm and .380 pistols that will give you easier concealment, greater capacity, and a more effective SD round.

TailGator said:
...your post reads like you want to change carry guns to get something easier to have on you than your current 1911. If my understanding of your need and desire is correct, I can't see how the Taurus is in the running.
+1. If the problem is hiding a 5" Gov't Model barrel in a OWB holster under a jacket or untucked shirt when you reach overhead or kneel down, I can understand the concern, but IMHO the Taurus is just going to replace that problem with a different one- width. The wide cylinder is going to create a characteristic bulge that will likely be hard to hide unless you habitually wear baggy clothing and you're physically large.

Also, I don't want to rehash literally dozens of threads in the "Revolver" subforum, but before you assume that your new pocket shotgun will have thundering stopping power, consider that we're discussing a shotgun shell that generations of hunters regard as borderline ineffective or even inhumane against ducks and upland game birds. Bubba Bad Dude is probably tougher than a pheasant or a mallard. ;) "But, but, but... I'll use that 3-pellet 0000 buckshot load!" Yes, this WILL leave a mark, but I consider this akin to shooting Bubba with 2-3 rounds of .25 or .32; compare this to the impact of ONE .45 or even 9mm slug, and remember that the goal should be to STOP Bubba, not to SCARE him.
TailGator said:
There is a long list of 9 mm and .380 pistols that will give you easier concealment, greater capacity, and a more effective SD round.
Also +1; the Ruger LC9, S&W Shield, and Bersa BP9CC are all generally less expensive than the Judge, yet somewhat smaller and lighter than the Bersa Thunder while being a good deal more potent.

Hi Everybody, I'm also new here, but long-time reader....
I voted for the bersa thunder .380, because I'm concerned of the very short effective range of the other one.

Two wrongs don't make it right. Therefore, I did not vote.

Spare yourself the agony and decide upon some viable alternatives. :(

Thanks for the opinions guy. I was trying to stay within a certain price point, but if i wanted to go a little higher I was thinking possibly a Ruger Sp101 with a 3" barrel. I have a Gp100 so they might compliment each other. I did see a commander 1911 in 9mm that i might be interested in as well.

Last edited:
What price point?

Judge's look to be $400-ish and up. There're a lot of good options in that price range.

Last edited:
Of the choices I would go with the Bersa. I have a PD Poly, and like it a lot, but for SD to me it fits a much better roll as an anti-carjacking, next to the truck seat gun.
The Bersa is much closer to what I do use for CCW often. A Kahr Arms CM9.
Another of my choices that is not too far out of the PD Poly price point would be a Ruger LCR. Mine is sometimes carried IWB in moderate climate conditions, but is most often carried in a Winter coat pocket in cold weather.

Why's everybody so dead set against the Bersa? They recoil much less than the micro .380/9mm guns, have better sights, better firing ergonomics, and are DA/SA. They're still nice guns in their own right even if you can find smaller & more powerful options these days.

I like the IDEA of a 5-shot revolver for carry and I do it once in a while as a change of pace but, for me, the REALITY of a 5-shot revolver is that they feel too fat after a few hours... so I prefer flatter skinnier autos most of the time.

I have been carrying the poly protector .357 for a year now. I swear by that gun, its been fantastic and its very accurate. I have at least 1500 rounds down it, me and my wife both love it and fight over who is gonna take it to work that day. It's a teal great gun for the money, never a malfunction. It's not unmanageable with .357's, but you gotta keep em light, the really strong 357's bite hard through the light little gun, kinda feels like someone gave you a high five as hard as they could, so I am not sure how the 45lc would feel , but those are a good bit larger than the .357.

Independent George said:
Why's everybody so dead set against the Bersa? They recoil much less than the micro .380/9mm guns, have better sights, better firing ergonomics, and are DA/SA.
I'm not "dead set" against the Bersa Thunder 380. IMHO it's a great budget choice. However, if the OP can drop $400 on a Judge PD Poly, then the LC9, Shield, BP9CC, and Kahr CM9 (forgot about that one the first time, thanks CS) are within his/her budget too, and IMHO they're all worth the ~$70-$100 extra over the Thunder.

Keep in mind that these are all locked breech pistols whereas the Thunder is blowback. IMHO the difference in controllability is just not that drastic, particularly with the Shield and BP9CC and their longer grips. All four have decent sights, and IMHO the fact that the Thunder is DA/SA is not necessarily advantageous, as the shooter has to learn two different trigger pulls and must remember to decock. (Also, most of the cheaper Thunder variants have a hammer spur that can snag on stuff.) Finally, 9mm commercial ammo is cheaper than .380, so he/she will likely get the price difference back eventually. :)

Alright guys I appreciate the feedback. I asked my father if I could carry his Bersa for a while so I'm gonna try that out. I'm sure I'll be happy with it which will lead me to pick up one myself.

I own a Bersa Thunder .380 with a capacity of 7 rds. plus 1 in the chamber. It is a far cry from a good or a light carry from my experience.

I also have a Sig P250 sub-compact in 9mm with a 15 plus 1 capacity which is only slightly heavier or larger than the Bersa.

Then I own a SCCY CPX-2 in 9mm with a 10 plus 1 capacity that is lighter and smaller than the Bersa Thunder .380.

I have purchased two slightly used P250's for three hundred each. The CPX-2 can be had for well under three hundred new with a lifetime of the pistol warranty. Both are far superior in my experience to the Bersa Thunder 380 as far as quality, reliability and shooting pleasure.

In the attached pictures, the Bersa is up top, the CPX-2 in the middle and the Sig P250 is on the bottom.

Attachments

• 3 compare.jpg
    3 compare.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 3 compare a.jpg
    3 compare a.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 30
My Bersa .22 is a similar pistol that is hit and miss reliability. My Sig 238 and 938's will conceal without great effort as will many of my other smaller size autos and revolvers. I would expand your search as the field has so many offerings right now at reasonable (for the time) prices and you are sure to find your perfect carry pistol. Most of us here are a bit biased toward one firearm or another anyway.

Makarov?

For a low price point, maybe consider the Makarov? How does the Bersa compare with the Makarov, aside from ammo? There's plenty of them on GB; I even saw one in 380. The one I shot, shot well.

Back