BERSA model 383-A in .380 … need info

Scott Evans

Staff Alumnus
What (good or bad) can anyone tell me about this handgun?

It is a BERSA model 383-A in .380

It also has stamped on the left side of the slide S.A. Ramos Mejia Argentina. Rt. Side K-MAX Int. Inc. Glenview Illinois 60025.

The serial # is 216xxx

It is used but in good shape as far as I can tell. I intend to fire it in a day or two to see how well it shoots and then will field strip it and clean it. Things I would like to know are; How reliable are they? What is the F/M value? What is your opinion of this firearm as a backup?

This is not something I went looking for but if there is any redeeming qualities to the gun it’s a deal too good to pass up.

If I remember correctly, this one has the slide stop, yes? I had some experience with one about 10 years ago. It was a reasonably good quality gun. At about $265 it was about half the price of the better quality Walther PPK and about 2 1/2 times the cost of a very much inferior Lorcin or Davis. I have no idea what the current value would be. A bit bulkier than a PPK with decidedly fatter grip panels, so easier to hold on to and a bit less felt recoil. Had more of a tang than the PPK, so it didn't try to eat my hand like the Walther. Since I have large hands that is important to me. I preferred having the slide stop to the arrangement of the PPK and the more common Bersa 383 which just lock open on an empty mag. It has a magazine disconnect, which I don't particularly like but some people do. It shot where I pointed it and I experienced no malfunctions, but I only put about 50 rounds through it. I have been told by some instructors that they do not hold up well to having hundreds of rounds fired through them in a class that lasts a few days.

Bersa .380

Scott, I bought one of these used some time ago. I paid about $180. used. The gun was in excellent condition. I have had no problems with mine. I have not fired Hundreds of rounds through it but I've given it a fairly good work out with no failures or problems. I like mine and believe it to be a fairly well built gun for the money. I believe it to be of better quality then my S&W CS.45. Maybe its an age thing. The gun shop I bought this from turned up new ones after I bought this one and they are selling them for the same price. I do use mine for a CCW and have no second thoughts with it. I like it. I was just looking at an 844 model today that is a .32 cal. version but a little smaller.
If the gun is in good condition,I would recommend it ;)
Hope this helps:)

Back