Bersa FireStorm 380 - What's not to like?

Red Devil

These little pistols have been showing up for ~ $300.

- 7+1 (but will accept 9-round Mec-Gar "Thunder 380" mags)
- 3.5" barrel.
- Simple blow-back design.
- Rubber wrap-around grip with finger grooves.
- GLOCK-esque white ball-n-cup sights.
- Inherently precise/accurate.

2015_04_10_3654_edited_2.556622348bd13.png

Definitely a "Bond" girl.

What's not to like?

Red

I never had a Bersa 380, but did have a Bersa Firestorm 22 some years ago. That was a shooting little trick as long as you fed it hot ammo like CCI mini-mags. Not that it wouldn't shoot standard ammo, it would just jam once in a while with it. With the CCI's it ran 100%.

I've been tempted by the 380 a couple of times, but something else always got in the way.

Enjoy it. Keep us posted on it.

had a bersa thunder years back. after a 200rnd break it it ran flawless. not a huge fan of finger grooves or rubber grips, but thats an easy fix

Actually the safety. I had one of the Thunder 380's a couldn't get used to the safety mounted on the slide and moving the "wrong way" to fire position.

had a bersa thunder years back. after a 200rnd break it it ran flawless. not a huge fan of finger grooves or rubber grips, but thats an easy fix
Bersa Thunder grips - are interchangeable.

You lose the frame checkering, however.

The rubber grips, to me, fit and feel outstanding.

For a light-weight pistol of respectable barrel length, that is of a blow-back design?

Think the rubber grips would be a plus.

Blow-back pistols have a much sharper recoil profile.

Red

Actually the safety. I had one of the Thunder 380's a couldn't get used to the safety mounted on the slide and moving the "wrong way" to fire position.
Different... and maybe a little awkward.

But by no means unique.

And functional, with a de-cocker as well.

Not a deal-breaker.

Red

I've owned the BT22 and BT380 as well as the Plus model. None really made me fall in love. If I were to get another Bersa 380, it would be the Thunder Plus model because of the 15 round magazine capacity. The Beretta 84/85 is a better gun but do come at a higher price.

With the DA/SA pistols I have owned over the years that had the slide mounted push forward safety/decocker the manual of arms I followed was to use the safety when there was a pause in shooting but leaving the pistol in SA mode and the decock feature to lower the hammer and return to DA mode. Once in DA mode the safety/decocker was immediately returned to the 'fire' position and the pistol then holstered. This applied to my Walther PP family, the S&W Wonder Nines, my Star UltraStar, the CZ 50 and the Mauser HSc. The Sigs only had the decocker while the JP Sauers had the decocker like the Sigs and a separate swipe down to fire safety.

The DA mode on the Sigs and others mentioned was heavy enough to treat just as if they were a revolver.

My SA pistols were carried Cocked & Locked and all of my striker fired pistols were carried with the safety on. The later required a range trip to adapt to the various different safety locations.

I have a BT380, BT380cc and a BT380 Plus. I quite like them all but I love the cc with it's
Crimson Trace red dot.
You will not look down you nose at the Bersa line after getting one in your hand I betchya.

No key lock, which is one reason the Thunder line never appealed to me. Does the Firestorm have the mag disconnect safety?

Back