Bersa 85 price check and info request

nzed

Hello All:

As a new member (although I have been lurking for some time), I have a question concerning a Bersa 85.

Saw in a gunshop on my way home from work today, a Bersa 85 for $325.00 (~$350.00 after taxes and intsacheck fees added).

Since reading the opinions of others concerning Bersas and being in the market for a .380, I was wondering if this is a good price for one. This particular gunshop is not the cheapest in the area, but I have purchased from him before when other shops did not have what I wanted at the time. It is not NIB (at least I don't think it is - I will find out more about it tomorrow, if the knowedge base of this group thinks it is worth looking into.) but seems to be in very good condition and comes with 1 13-round mag.

I would possibly be using this pistol for CCW for the summer months although I do own a smaller pistol (SMC-918).

I am also considering a FEG SMC-380 which I can order new for $190.00 (~$210 after taxes and intsacheck fees added).I already own a SMC-918 and a SMC-22, so the SMC-380 would be to complete a "set".

Is the Bersa 85 worth the price difference? How scarce are they? I see factory 13-round mags for the the Bersa are about $60.00 on some web sites, so it seems they are a bit hard to find. Anything in particular I should look for when examining this pistol? Any known quirks in this particular model? Any websites with specs that you know of?

All opinions/answers are welcomed and encouraged.

I am glad to be a member of this board and hope to be able to contribute in the future.

I am an FEG owner and not a Bersa owner, but I'll give you my opinion. The Bersa will be lighter than the FEG, cuz the FEG is all steel and the Bersa is (I think) polymer framed.

That price on that Bersa seems high from what I've read on past threads. You might try doing a search for older Bersa-related threads and see if you can get some prices there.

I can recommend the FEG. I've owned it for 3 years now and enjoy it a lot. I even bought another FEG (9mm) because I liked the .380 so much.

Bersa

I have a used Md#83 and I paid $180. for it. I believe your price is a little high. Blue Book price at 100% is $285. for the 85.
Just as a side note on this, I like my Bersa and IMHO is a very good reliable gun for the money. I do use mine as a CCW
from time to time and trust it to do what it has to when it has to ;)

Hope this helps :)

I don't own either; but I'm sure both are good firearms. The
one Bersa that I have personally examined, appeared to be a
quality piece fit and finish wise. To me, this .380 caliber
weapon was a little large for CCW purpose's. I too believe
the price was way out of line. NIB out-the-door price on
Bersa .380's shouldn't exceed $200.00.:D:)

Regards,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Back