Berry's 148 grain HBWC vs DEWC

TruthTellers

I decided for use in my snub .38's that it's time to explore wadcutters as I don't trust that any hollow points I would handload would expand or shoot well or be something affordable I could shoot often. Wadcutters are cheap, accurate, and going with a plated bullet means leading is unlikely to be an issue.

I'm not looking to use these for competition, so accuracy isn't a concern. Between a hollow base wadcutter and a double end wadcutter, which is the better one to choose?

DEWC’s are simple and consistent to me. They also make very accurate revolver ammo.

HBWC’s are fine, but you have to control the hb direction. The theory is that the base obturates creating a better gas seal. I’m not sure I would buy that without evidence.

I settled on DEWC's a decade or two ago. Hollow Base WC's are fine, but less versatile. Any accuracy gains of HBWC's compared to DEWC's are negligible.

Supposedly, HBWC's will lead the barrel less due to proper obturation at low target-level pressures. Using them myself, I never saw this advantage in the real world. Besides, I (and you, evidently) have switched to plated bullets anyway - so that characteristic is moot.

Go with DEWC's. You can load them to a much broader pressure spectrum.

Berry's hbwc have a pretty thick skirt, I don't think they expand/obturate in the bore at 38 spl pressures.
Still, good bullets, either version will perform well for what you want.
I always loaded them long in magnum brass, so they stick out about 1/8" and load with 5 grains of Unique or W231.

Years ago it was going around that if you loaded HB wad cutters backwards, they'd act like a big hollow point on impact. I don't know if this works for sure but Ed Harris was one of the guys saying it was a good idea.

Tony

I can't attached a photo but Ken Waters' book has a series of Wadcutter test for the .38 and the HBWC was slightly more accurate.

A few months ago I tested HBWC turned around. From a 10 position, it entered one 1 gallon water jug and exited through the top of the second. The skirt fragmented into 4 pieces and I only retrieved two pieces of the skirt. I never found the bullet.

At the same time, I loaded 135gr Speer Gold dots with about 6.8gr AA5. The bullet penetrated two 1 gallon water jugs and stopped just outside the third. The mushroom was beautiful.

I tested these bullets at 10' and shot the .38's with my 6" Model 66. The original purpose of the load was for my nephews Ruger LCR but I didn't get a hold of it in time. If you do a search, the 135gr. Speer GD performs well for the .38 special snubys

Years ago it was going around that if you loaded HB wad cutters backwards, they'd act like a big hollow point on impact. I don't know if this works for sure but Ed Harris was one of the guys saying it was a good idea.

Tony
Using the hollow base as a hollow point is tempting, but I don't think I've ever seen them work. I'm leaning toward the DEWC because it's probably a stronger bullet and if I wanted to I could probably loaded them warmer and not have to worrying about skirts blowing off, but if the accuracy with the HBWC is better, I'd be a fool not to consider it.

However, it doesn't sound like they are.

If you do a search, the 135gr. Speer GD performs well for the .38 special snubys (sic)

Yes, the Speer 135gn GDHP SB is arguably THE best bullet for low velocity expansion. I started searching for them in '13 - during the big shortage; great timing. Finally, Midway had them and I bought 500 of them. I've since done work ups with 38+p and 357 Mag. I haven't done expansion testing. But I have chronographed the +P in my 1.875" S&W Model 60; and have gotten plenty of velocity for expansion (as advertised, anyway).

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

I don't know if the following exceeds +P pressures, but I suspect it's close.

Using BE-86 - because it seemed logical to use a flash suppressed propellant; and it's also an ideal burn rate for the pressures involved.

Alliant's site show both the 130gn FMJ and the 125 JHP maximum charge at 6.1 grains. In my work up, I settled on 6.0gn for my 135 GDHP SB's. I chronographed two different batches and got the following from 10-round samples:

890 f/s and 909 f/s through my snubbie.

(961 f/s and 941f/s respectively though a 4" bbl - odd that the latter test - compared to the former test - yielded a lower velocity through the 4" and higher through the 2".)

There were no signs of excessive pressure. Recoil was quite firm but plenty controllable for this old guy with small arthritic hands. According to the Speer manual, this is plenty of velocity for expansion. Of course, the real world may tell a different tale. But there's some info I hope to be helpful.

I switched to the plain DEWC from Berry's and Rainier for my 357 revolver and my Handi rifle.
With a scope at 50 yards I saw no difference with the plated HBWC vs the DEWC, both shot great.
Get the DEWC (if you can find them), they shoot great.

Back