Berretta Bobcat .22 vs Taurus pt .22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgrigs

Inactive
Hi,
I need help to make a decision on one of these two small .22 pocket guns. I want one to use in my pants pocket when I can not carry my 9mm in a holster.

I have shot the pt .22 about 100 rounds. I like the accurracy from 7-15 yards and its reliability so far. The warranty is a lifetime warranty. and price is fair at $179
It has a DA only trigger pull which is quite heavy, which should make it safe as a pocket pistol.

The Bobcat .22 I have never fired. I need to know its accurracy and reliabity. The price seems a bit high at $279 or so. It sounds like it is DA/SA , so after the first shot it goes into SA mode? it only has a one year warranty? Between the two is it worth the extra $100 ?

I have read that the Bobcats have a problem with the firing pins breaking or something. I have yet to hear and relibility problems from the Taurus pistol in .22

Please offer any info you all can
Thanks,
Scott

May I suggest the Beretta 950 Jetfire in .25 instead?

Better design and reliability and smaller. It makes a really loud bang and you can carry Glaser or MagSafe loads as well as those little BB tipped rounds. Not to mention 8 in the magazine and one in the chamber (I don't carry these Condition 1 but that's me).

I've carried one for years when all I could carry was tiny.

The gun can be had for $125 used and about $150-75 new. .25 ammo costs more but I prefer it over .22 in a little deep cover pistol.

on the jetfire, don't you have to cock it the first round then it's SA or do you have to cock it each round?
Thanks

Sgrigs,
I have had three Beretta M21As over the years and was totally satisfied with each in turn. Very reliable with quality .22 high velocity ammunition, excellent double and single action trigger and unbelieveably accurate! I could tell you some stories about how accurate, but someone who has never really practiced with one would say I was stretching the truth. I will say that the only reason I don't have the first two anymore is that after seeing how accurate they were other people traded me out of them. I made myself a promise that upon receipt of the third specimen to not trade it off. It has over a thousand rounds through it and shoots better than ever. By the way, you were right. First round is double action and the rest are single action. It also has a frame mounted safety so that it can be carried cocked and locked ala M1911, if you so desire. I strongly recommend them.

Take care and God bless,
Paladin

Use deja.com on rec.guns and you will find
quite a few folks who had reliability problems with PT-22s. I had one that I
bought for $123 - nickle,with the fancy
grips.

It jammed consistently. I tried many types of
ammo and it made no difference. Some of the
jams were quite spectacular. On one, a round
was caught in the middle by the slide and bent. Another, a live round was just pop
straight out of the gun.

I could have sent it back but decided not
to. This model was usually on sale for
$153, but I got a deal. So I sold it
for $100.

I grant you that this is just my gun, but
the problem is not a rare one.

Not to go off topic - but there are better
pocket solutions than the 22 LR nowadays.
But that's another thread.

Glenn

I've had a PT22 for 4 or 5 years. Got one because some state plainclothes were carrying them as backup.

Settled on Winchester ammo, gun ALWAYS goes bang.

Like it better that the baby Berettas.

It's my 'big' mouse....

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

I have also used a jetfire but must reccomend that you carry it cocked and locked because the slide is a %$&*@ to pull

I haven't heard great things about tauruses overall to quote someone "a great taurus is only as good as a Berreta". Even thought they come with a lifetime warranty answer me this is your life worth an extra hundred bucks?

Warranties only work if you live to send it back. I am not saying berretas do not jam (althought I have never had one jam on me) just that they have a proven service record for working with wayyy fewer jams than tauruses.

It's better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it.

Damage,
The Jetfire has no real internal safety. The external safety only prevents the trigger from being pulled. The firing pin is NEVER blocked on the Jetfire. Cocked and locked is a bit more risky because of this. At least on the 1911, the firing pin would not strike the primer even if the hammer was dropped. If the hammer ever falls on the Jetfire with one in the pipe, the gun is going off.

One neat way to carry the Jetfire is to keep the hammer back over an empty chamber. The slide is MUCH easier to rack when it's not pulling the hammer back at the same time. Make sure you try it before you just star carrying it that way.

Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back