Berger 140 gr Hybrid Target.

Sprky222

I picked up a box of Berger 140 gr. Hybrid target in 6.5 MM. Got home to find out there's almost nothing published about them in any manual I have.

I was wondering if any of you had used them or if I can treat them like a 140 gr. ELD-M?

Any info would be appreciated.

Probably would help if you specified the cartridge and twist of the barrel--but they are both generally excellent bullets. Are you asking if you can use the load data interchangeably of one for the other? Chances are awfully good Berger has that data unless you're using an unusual cartridge.

In my experience, all three Berger 140 gr 6.5mm bullets have preferences for slightly different seating depths.
The Match, Long Range and Hybrids all shoot very accurately, but they seem to like different set ups, and those set-ups are determined by your barrel not any manual.
Berger even says that about all their bullets in their manual.
The Berger Manual has load data on all three, but they state that the SAAMI COAL needs to be adapted to find the optimum accuracy for your rifle.

Interestingly, each of my three 6.5mm CM barrels had best results with slightly different set ups.

The powder loads are in the range of the ELD-M 140s but I would start at the low end and not push them until you see some results. Since the Bergers are not tipped bullets, the optimum seating depth for the Bergers are different.

Thanks guy. I ordered the Berger manual, it should arrive today. I just had 50 new cases sized and primed and was eager to get started.

The article starting on page 148 on the effects of COAL and CBTO is worth the read.

The Berger manual has some of the best articles on Ballistics Coefficients and Form Factors that I have read.

Back