BERETTA'S IN STAINLESS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JERKY

OK, I have come to the decision that i want the beretta over the sig. I like the fact that beretta has been making fantastic handguns for many years and stands behind their products. I want stainless. people have asked why i am so hell bent on a stainles gun and its because i think a gun should look as good as it shoots. Sig makes a great looking gun in both finishes but the price you pay for a nickel sig is out of this world !

I want a .40 cal beretta in stainless and i want either the centurion, cougar or border marshall. (the 96fs is out of the question. beretta needs to beef it up rather than shave it down to fit a larger round)

Does anyone know where i can get the border marshall,centurion or cougar in stainless 40 cal?
the gun shops in my area say they dont make any of these in stainless. im not sure if they are just telling me that so they dont have to order one, or what.

Another question is for concealed carry. What do you guys think is better for CCW. the 40cal or 9mm? I like the power of the 40cal and my brother and i argue about which is a better carry round for stopping power. I think size has alot to do with stopping a BG. My brother thinks speed is the key. I have read earlier arguments on this about the 10mm and 357sig and dont want to get into a 4 day argument. but i would like to get some opinions on which is the better round. thanks in advance.

------------------
TIM : )

Only the full-sized standard model 92FFS is available in stainless. It is now called the INOX model I believe.

9mm vs. .40 is just a matter of preference as both guns are exactly the same size. Either way, both guns are damn big for concealed carry. Hi-Cap mags (15rnds) are readily available for the 9mm, not so much for the .40 which is something to considder.

I prefer the 9mm over the .40 in my Beretta's (or in any handgun) but again, it's a matter of preference. Enjoy!

Jerky:

I respect your preference for the good looks of SS. That having been said,remember SS will rust if not taken care of. In addition, there is always the flash factor to SS if you are carrying a concealed even if the finish is matte stainless. Consider the fact that most, if not all of the elite tactical forces in the world operating today stay with a handgun that has a dark finish of some sort to avoid the flash factor. If you go with a Stainless, you will be well served in any event. Good luck and good shooting.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

Does anyone know if the cougar,border marshall or centurion come in stainless?

------------------

JJR,

I am a big guy so a big gun is not a problem. I would like to know why you think the 9mm is the better round? i tend to like the 40cal myself. does the 9 have some traits the 40 does not or vice versa? just wanted your valuable opinion.

------------------

Jerky,

I don't really think that the 9mm is a better round than the 40... I just don't think that the .40 is a better round than the 9mm. Millions of dollars and man-hours have been spent on the 9 vs 40 vs 45 debate over the last 50 years and the results are still inconclusive. To me anyway, this means that while there may be a difference in stopping power, there is not a significant difference. I lived through a real-life 9mm vs. .45 "ballistics test" and I can say for certain that the 9mm (sadly) works just fine. Shot placement is what really counts. That being said, I prefer the 9mm as it's a bit more controllable and I can have that many more rounds in my gun.
Still, there is nothing wrong with the .40 S&W.

I have heard some rumors that the .40 Beretta has had some problems with reliability. Something to do with the fact that only the barrel was changed to .40 but the slide was not modified. I have no first hand knowledge of this and I can't see where a problem would really occur. My .40 model 96 works just fine (but I don't shoot it that much ;)).

As far as Beretta's go, there are still plenty of 15 rnd 9mm mags available (even the crappy U.S.A. brand work great in the 92). With the .40, you're pretty much stuck with post-ban 10 rounders (I think pre-ban's are a whopping 11, but I may be wrong). Incidentally, I do have a stainless (what is now called) 92G Centurion. I had it custom made for me by the Beretta factory in Italy many years ago. This was before the "centurion" model actually came out. It was a mate between a full sized frame and a "compact" model slide. They really didn't understand why I wanted a decocker but no safety but I was paying for it so they made it. They might do it again if you really want one that bad (It wasn't cheap). They can be reached at 011-39-030-83411.

You can't go wrong with a Beretta. Stainless, blue, black, nickel or gold... they're great guns. Good luck!

Oops, he's right. The cougar is available in stainless (but difficult to find). I was thinking strictly about the 92 series (92, 96, Centurian, Brigadier, Border Marshall, etc.). I'm a 92 fan and I can't offer much of an opinion on the Cougar series.

like JJR said, I cant find the cougar in stainles at any gunshop in or around baltimore.(or the web) I have even requested that it be ordered and i cant find anyone that lists it as being in production. It seems every gun shop i go to and inquire about it, they walk over to their computers and look it up. Where are these guys looking ? is there a network of dealers they look to for ordering? this is very confusing to me.(and frustrating) I walk into a gun shop with money in my pocket and i walk out gunless ! It seems no one will make an effort to even try and locate a cougar in stainless for me. I have found them in every finish and caliber but .40 stainless.

Im tellin ya if i can find this gun im buying it and never getting rid of it. Seems these guns are extinct !

------------------

Most gunshops buy from independent distributors, not direct from the factory. Try calling Beretta direct (301-283-2191) and ask them to give you the name of a distributor who has a stainless cougar. He can arrange for you to get it (he'll sell it to a dealer in your area, make sure you, the distributor and the dealer agree to a price beforehand so they don't play games with you). Cougars are not very popular in my area so the distributors don't stock many. A stainless .40 cal is probably one of the most difficult to find but... in an infinite universe... somebody, somewhere has got one. The Beretta people know who.

Thanks a million JJR !

I really love the cougar and centurion and will not stop my search for one of my favorite guns. Maybe ill look back on this and realize that the thrill of the hunt is part of the reason people collect guns.

Thanks again JJR and everyone else for all the help.

------------------

Good luck, jerky.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Beretta 96D Centurion.
I was wanting a corrosion resistant Beretta
DAO. Not finding a stainless DAO, I checked
into having one refinished. I think
a pistol can be refinished in one of those
super-finishes for $125 (metacol 3, for example). I like my Beretta as is, though,
so I may not have it refinished. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back