Beretta vs Taurus--.22lr

Tropical Z

Am looking for a small .22lr semi,and am considering either the Beretta(don't know model designation)or Taurus PT-22.Both have tip up barrel and are about the same size.I haven't held a Taurus as they are extremely hard to find in my neck of the woods.Are they very similar in terms of reliability and functioning? Thanx :)

The Taurus is DAO and the Beretta is DA. I have the Beretta and I really can't recommend it too highly. It isn't anywhere as well made as the larger Beretta guns.

Hey Z, I started the thread you were refered to. I decided on the Taurus and ordered it for $200 (I think I overpaid a bit), but the gun will not arrive till the 20th. I'll post a "Range report" on it then. Researching the older threads I notice some guys rave about thiers while others have mentioned broken slides. I wonder if Taurus has beefed them up any since then?

There just does not seem to be a consensus on these little guns 2/3's of the guys love'em and 1/3 have sent them back repeatidly. I'll let you know how mine works out.

Good Luck, Blue Duck

Bought my PT22 years ago after meeting two L.E. carrying them as deep backup.
After break-in the gun has been flawless (using W-W Super-X) and is carried as my "off-body always".

Or get a Kel-Tec P32......

Beretta vs. Taurus

Buy the Beretta. My Sgt. bought a Taurus and was shooting stingers through it when it blew up. Drove a piece of the wood grip into his hand and a piece of metal hit his daughter who was standing by.

Taurus does not recommend hyper-velocity rounds such as Stingers in the PT-22. That may explain the 1/3 that have had problems. I had one of these for a while. Excellant accuracy for such a small gun, but had a bad experience in killing a rogue possum once that turned me off of small .22's.

Back