Beretta - USA or Italian???

Prof

OK, all you Beretta 92 owners: what is the difference in quality between the American-made and Italian-made Berettas? I keep seeing ads for them and the sellers always specify U.S. or Italian. Why? Also, CDNN is advertising a 92F "Custom" "tactical design" with a slimmer backstrap (of interest to me since I have small hands). Price is $429 which seems good. Any info on this model? Thanks!

I've got a 92SB Italian, the only difference I see between it and the regular US made 92 is the Italian finish is a smooth blue, the US finish is a matte finish of somekind. and the SB doesn't have the grip extended forward on the bottom like the US 92's.

I have an Italian 92FS Inox (stainless). If you put an American Inox next to an Italian Inox the difference will immediatly be seen. The anodizing on the American Inox is a completly different (wrong :))color. Also, in the past the quality of the Italian guns was a little better, but I think that is largely a myth now, and quality is equal. I think the main thing is a Beretta's heritage and history is Italian. Would you buy a Ferrari that was the same price as one made in Modena, but built in Maryland?

Prof, my understanding is for the last 6 months or so Beretta USA has radiused the backstraps 2mm to shorten-up the trigger reach on all 9x series firearms.

As far as the Italian made vs US made Beretta pistols being of higher quality, when the Maryland plant first began to produce firearms that may have been true in the area of finish. I have an Italian 92 from that time that does have a nicer finish. But the Maryland pistols have been the equal and better of the Italian guns for quite some time now. I much prefer the BUSA guns. The fit, finish and workmanship is the finest found coming out of any plant from any manufacturer.

Darryl

All 92SBs (1980) had a blue finish. The matte Bruniton finish started w the model 92SB-F (also marked 92F) in 1983.

IIRC, all the slides that broke for the military were Italian made. First year of contract guns were made and assembled in Italy, the second year made there/assembled here, three and on made/assembled here.

Used to be you could tell by the cardboard box color (silver/Italian, blue/USA) and the serial # prefix (BER was made in USA). For the 9mm anyway; not sure about the 40s.

The barrel finish on the Italian made guns seems more consistent to me; some of the USA barrels are pretty bad. Slides and frames are much closer IMO.

The USA made guns are avging over 30,000 rounds between stoppages w mil-spec ammo (loaded to 36,250 psi, same as SAAMI +P) when pulled from the line and tested randomly, so no problem there.

[Edited by BrokenArrow on 12-27-2000 at 01:18 PM]

in the past the Italian Berettas were noticably better than the US ones but now they're pretty much equal. i still hear that the Italian ones have slightly better fit and finishes but i'm not sure since i've never examined a US and Italian beretta side by side.

my US made 92FS is a great pistol. it has over 3000 rounds thru it without 1 single jam or malfunction and it's very accurate. my 92G Elite is also extreemly accurate.

the beretta your describing that CDNN is selling is a slightly customized beretta that beretta made for a big customer somewhat recently. basically all it is is a 92FS INOX (stainless steel) with a blackened coat over it, a shortened 4.7" flush fitting barrel and no lanyard loop. the rest of the gun is the same as a 92FS INOX.

when beretta came out with the 92G Elite they reduced it's backstrap by 2 millimeters and at the same time they did this to all 92 series pistols. they just didn't advertise it as much for all the other pistols as much as with the Elite. any new beretta that you buy will have the slimmer backstrap, i notice a difference between my older 92FS and my 92G Elite in the feel (i have small hands) but not that noticable a difference.

My Cougar 8040 is Italian and came in a blue plastic box. No problems, but I would have bought it wether it was a US or Italian made model.

Back