Beretta Tomcat, range report.

Prof Young

Forum Followers:

Took the Beretta Tomcat out for the first time today. Shot some FNB ball and some Aguila 32.

75 rounds total. The gun felt like it was running much more smoothly by the end of the 75 rounds than at the start. Kinda hard to explain. Tip up barrel clicked into place much more smoothly. Jams stopped. I assume it's all about break in.

Three jams. Two with the FNB one with the Aguila. With the tip up barrel, jams are a whole different animal. Had to take mag out all three times, but now it occurs to me that I may have been able to tip the barrel up to clear the jam.

At seven yards the groups were huge, like about eight inches. At five they came down to 4-6 inches, and at three it was about 2-3 inches. None of that was off a rest. I imagine I can do better.

Things throws the empties almost straight back. I had on a loose collared shirt and twice I got an empty down the neck. Lotta fun there.

Fixed sights are small and kinda blend into each other.

I bought this just for the fun of having a 32. And it is fun. If I can get the right holster, I may even carry it around in my small rural town.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Attachments

• Tomcat.jpg
    Tomcat.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 53
Congrats on you new Tomcat. I got mine three years ago. I have no problem concealing my compact CZs, but my It's my Tomcat is for deep concealment. I carry it in a Guru Pocket Holster:

https://pocketholsters.com/BerettaPocket-Wallet_Holster/berettapocket-wallet_holster.html.

This is a versatile, 3-in-1 holster: rear pocket pseudowallet, front pocket pseudowallet, or front pocket traditional (with the rectangular piece of leather responsible for printing like a wallet removed).

You can break in your pistol by shooting it, but it's cheaper to just rack the slide while riding your couch when watching TV. Magazine and recoil springs will take a set after being broken in. I do this by storing a full mag for a month (after which a mag loader is not needed to top it off), and by storing a pistol with its slide locked back for a month (after which it's easy to rack even with the hammer down). The Tomcat, of course, has no slide lock, so breaking in the recoil springs is done by racking the slide about 500 times (which is much more affordable than shooting it 500 times). After doing this, say 25 times a crack, you'll have no problem racking the slide even with the hammer down, and the slide-frame contact surfaces should be well polished.

Steer clear of JHPs. They don't expand, and, if by some miracle they do, they will penetrate inadequately. So-called Euro hot FMJ loads don't exceed 130 ft•lb at the muzzle of the Tomcat's 2.4-in barrel; the high MEs advertised come from 4.0-in test barrels. (See Ballistic by the Inch website for data from which you can interpolate a velocity reduction factor from a 4.0-in to a 2.4-in barrel.). The only round I've determined to exceed 130 ft•lb from a Tomcat is the Cor Bon 60-gr JHP.

Last edited:
3 jams in 75 rounds and you are thinking about carrying it? That's BAD. Send it back to factory to fix it.

In my 3 Beretta 950BS 25ACP gone through like 5000 rounds. I have one brand of bullets that NEVER have a jam. I had FTE with CCI Blazer with aluminum casing, I polish the chamber and solve the problem.

For self defense and carry, your life depends on it. One fail in 200 is TOO MANY!!!

3 out of 75, if they cannot fix it, it's going to go into the garbage can!!!

Last edited:
Try a few different brands of ammo to see what it likes best. Don't worry too much about those initial issues, both you and the gun are still learning about each other. Get to know it and find out what It likes. Learn how it likes to be held.

I well remember when the only food my daughter wanted to eat was Vienna Sausages or Chicken fingers.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Originally posted by Alan0354
3 jams in 75 rounds and you are thinking about carrying it? That's BAD. Send it back to factory to fix it.

If the OP does that, Beretta will likely send the gun back and say that there's nothing wrong with it. Having a few hiccups in the first box or two of ammo isn't really all that uncommon with a brand new gun.

In my 3 Beretta 950BS 25ACP gone through like 5000 rounds. I have one brand of bullets that NEVER have a jam. I had FTE with CCI Blazer with aluminum casing, I polish the chamber and solve the problem.

OK, and were those 5000 rounds all the same brand as what the OP was using in his Tomcat? Sometimes some guns like certain brands of ammo and not others, the OP has only tried two so far.

For self defense and carry, your life depends on it. One fail in 200 is TOO MANY!!!

If you have a broken-in gun loaded with your chosen and tested self-defense ammo, then yes one in 200 is no confidence inspiring. The OP, on the other hand, has a brand new gun and is just beginning to see what ammo it might like or dislike. A hiccup here and there is expected.

3 out of 75, if they cannot fix it, it's going to go into the garbage can!!!

Well they're probably not going to fix it because there's probably nothing wrong. With some guns, particularly small pocket guns like the Tomcat, break-in is a real thing (though some refuse to believe that). In the first couple hundred rounds, springs will take set, tolerances will wear in a bit, and the shooter will get used to the gun. The OP himself said the gun seemed to run smoother at the end of 75 rounds and that the malfunctions subsided. The gun is simply breaking in and has nothing wrong with it. There's no need to be alarmed and send the gun back to Beretta or throw it in the trash, it's fine.

I sent my S&W 659 back with fewer jams than this, they FIXED it. I do gun smithing, I know exactly what they fixed. They reshaped the extractor. I heard Beretta gives very good service. They likely will take you serious.

I strongly disagree you can consider the gun is good with only one brand of bullets. It is the "MARGIN" of reliability that one should consider. I particularly use store reloads that are weaker to test. You have more chance of failure, if that fails, fix it. So when you fire good rounds, it will have the margin of safety and reliability.

Older guns have very rough finish. The feedramp and the chamber can be very rough. This will cause FTF or FTE.

When you send it back, be very specific on what kind of problem you encountered, they will fix it.

My definition of reliability is thousands of rounds without a single jam. AND you can at least find a few brands of rounds that don't give problem.....Particular JHP.

I do NOT believe in breaking in. How much money you have to spend to "break in" the gun. I believe in have it done the best, then spend the money to proof the gun. Don't think when you bought it new, it's good. You should see how rough the inside of my Colt Gold Cup and the S&W 659. Even the Walther PPKS. I had to polish the ejector port, shape the extractor and ejector, polish the chamber and feed ramp to make them reliable. Both my Gold Cup and Walther eject casing out 4 or 5 ft away, not just pop up a foot or so or bounce back to my head. You know the casing hit something in the gun while ejecting, that increases the chance of jamming. It's all about work.

Last edited:
I sent my S&W 659 back with fewer jams than this, they FIXED it. I do gun smithing, I know exactly what they fixed. They reshaped the extractor.

The OP's gun isn't a S&W 659 and doesn't have an extractor. What a different manufacturer did with a completely different gun design has little to do with the OP's Tomcat. Before to pronounced sight unseen that the OP's gun needed to go back to Beretta, did you stop to consider that, because his Tomcat has no extractor and is brand new that perhaps a bit excess packing oil/grease in the chamber might have caused the problem?

I strongly disagree you can consider the gun is good with only one brand of bullets. It is the "MARGIN" of reliability that one should consider. I particularly use store reloads that are weaker to test. You have more chance of failure, if that fails, fix it. So when you fire good rounds, it will have the margin of safety and reliability.

Who said anything about only trying one brand of ammo? The OP has only tried two different brands of ammo and he didn't specify whether he had trouble with both or only one. I can name at least a dozen other manufacturers of .32 Auto ammo other than what the OP tried in his Tomcat. Perhaps his gun will be boringly reliable with all of them and it just doesn't like Aguila. I agree a gun that is only reliable with one brand of ammo is problematic, but a gun that is only unreliable with one brand of ammo is less so. My CZ-75 is extremely reliable with every type of ammo I've shot in it except Silver Bear 145 gr JHP. Does that mean I should send my gun back to CZ or throw it away? Of course not. I should just avoid that particular brand of cheap Russian ammo in that gun.

Older guns have very rough finish. The feedramp and the chamber can be very rough. This will cause FTF or FTE.

The OP doesn't have an older gun, he has a brand new one. I fail to understand what the finish on the feedramps and chambers of older guns has to do with the OP's brand new one. That being said, sometimes a gun with a rough finish will wear in with a bit of range time, it's called breaking in :rolleyes:

When you send it back, be very specific on what kind of problem you encountered, they will fix it.

Beretta, S&W, or anyone else can only fix a gun if the gun actually has a problem to be fixed. The OP's gun appears to be breaking in and, per the OP, the reliability issues seem to be resolving. If he sends it to Beretta, he'll likely get it back with a note saying they inspected and test fired it and found no issues in doing so.

My definition of reliability is thousands of rounds without a single jam. AND you can at least find a few brands of rounds that don't give problem.....Particular JHP.

The OP's gun may very well give him that once it's broken in. If the OP's gun continues to have reliability issues, then yes there's probably something wrong, but since he reports that the "jams stopped" I have no reason to believe this will be the case.

I do NOT believe in breaking in. How much money you have to spend to "break in" the gun. I believe in have it done the best, then spend the money to proof the gun.

You can "believe in" or "not believe in" whatever you like. However, Beretta does "believe" in breaking in as page 9 of the instruction manual for the Model 3032 Tomcat states the following:

Originally posted by Beretta
After a "break in" period of shooting, you may find that you pistol (like most other semiautomatic pistols) shoots better with one or two particular brands of ammunition.

http://www.berettaweb.com/Munuals/3032%20Tomcat%20Manual.pdf

As to how much you should have to spend breaking in a pistol, opinions vary but I don't think that the cost of a couple boxes of Aguila FMJ is all that excessive.

Last edited:
The OP's gun isn't a S&W 659 and doesn't have an extractor. What a different manufacturer did with a completely different gun design has little to do with the OP's Tomcat. Before to pronounced sight unseen that the OP's gun needed to go back to Beretta, did you stop to consider that, because his Tomcat has no extractor and is brand new that perhaps a bit excess packing oil/grease in the chamber might have caused the problem?

Who said anything about only trying one brand of ammo? The OP has only tried two different brands of ammo and he didn't specify whether he had trouble with both or only one. I can name at least a dozen other manufacturers of .32 Auto ammo other than what the OP tried in his Tomcat. Perhaps his gun will be boringly reliable with all of them and it just doesn't like Aguila. I agree a gun that is only reliable with one brand of ammo is problematic, but a gun that is only unreliable with one brand of ammo is less so. My CZ-75 is extremely reliable with every type of ammo I've shot in it except Silver Bear 145 gr JHP. Does that mean I should send my gun back to CZ or throw it away? Of course not. I should just avoid that particular brand of cheap Russian ammo in that gun.

The OP doesn't have an older gun, he has a brand new one. I fail to understand what the finish on the feedramps and chambers of older guns has to do with the OP's brand new one. That being said, sometimes a gun with a rough finish will wear in with a bit of range time, it's called breaking in :rolleyes:

Beretta, S&W, or anyone else can only fix a gun if the gun actually has a problem to be fixed. The OP's gun appears to be breaking in and, per the OP, the reliability issues seem to be resolving. If he sends it to Beretta, he'll likely get it back with a note saying they inspected and test fired it and found no issues in doing so.

The OP's gun may very well give him that once it's broken in. If the OP's gun continues to have reliability issues, then yes there's probably something wrong, but since he reports that the "jams stopped" I have no reason to believe this will be the case.

You can "believe in" or "not believe in" whatever you like. However, Beretta does "believe" in breaking in as page 9 of the instruction manual for the Model 3032 Tomcat states the following:

http://www.berettaweb.com/Munuals/3032%20Tomcat%20Manual.pdf

As to how much you should have to spend breaking in a pistol, opinions vary but I don't think that the cost of a couple boxes of Aguila FMJ is all that excessive.
If you choose to waste money keep shooting to try to break in, it's your choice.

I know beretta, the fact there's no extractor make it even more sensitive to rough chamber that prevents the empty shells from coming out. The problem is the shell does not come out all the way and stuck in the chamber half way. Polishing the chamber resolve most of the problem. I don't want to suggest doing it himself because over polishing can be dangerous.

What make you so sure beretta will just send the gun back. Are you speaking on behalf of beretta? If not, DO NOT SAY THAT.

I sent back my S&W and Colt back, that was before I even started doing gun smithing. They fixed it. It's because I saw what they did, that interested me. So I got into gun smithing. I further accurized the Gold Cup for competition. I further improve the gun.

It is NOT rocket science, problem is usually very obvious if you know how to look for it. AND it's very obvious if you know what you are doing.

It's like if you buy a S&W revolver, you do NOT go shoot thousands of rounds in double action or dry fire thousands of times to smooth out the pull. You go in and polish certain places to make it butter smooth without firing a shot.

I am quite sure beretta will do something about it. This is an OLD design, there's a lot they can improve it. What do you have to lose? Other than save money keep trying different brands of bullets.

If you buy it from a store, just go back to the store. I am SURE the sales person will say EXACTLY what you said to discourage him from sending it back because it's more work for them. Just insist on it. I bought so many guns, I know how they are.

Last edited:
A day at the range is never money wasted.
It is if you have to spend money to buy say 5 boxes of bullets just to try to break in the gun. What if after 5 boxes, the gun still jams?

Also, you cannot shoot hundreds of rounds through the Tomcat, you have to worry about the cracking problem as talked in another thread. You just don't shoot thousands of rounds in this kind of small gun. I have 3 Beretta 950BS, two I shoot a lot, one I did everything on it, shot like 300 rounds to proof it, and I stop shooting that one and use it for self defense. I use the other two to practice.

BTW, I broke the recoil spring on one of them after less than 2000 rounds. You cannot shoot a lot with those small guns, they don't last. Want to shoot a lot, buy two, one for shooting, one to just proven out and keep it.

Enjoying a day at the range is never money or time wasted.
But this gun is not for shooting 300 rounds and see whether it will stop jamming, then another 300 rounds........ The gun cracks!!! Sure, you have the bigger better ones and you can go enjoy shooting without worrying about it.

Honestly, I would never buy the Tomcat knowing all the problems of cracking. It's not even light. 32 rounds are not cheap and is weaker. I'd go with 380 where you have so many modern guns to choose from instead of one that is heavy and will crack.

I never understand why people worry about recoil.

But this gun is not for shooting 300 rounds and see whether it will stop jamming, then another 300 rounds........ The gun cracks!!! Sure, you have the bigger better ones and you can go enjoy shooting without worrying about it.

Honestly, I would never buy the Tomcat knowing all the problems of cracking. It's not even light. 32 rounds are not cheap and is weaker. I'd go with 380 where you have so many modern guns to choose from instead of one that is heavy and will crack.

Notice though that no one has suggested you should buy a Tomcat, we are discussing the Tomcat someone else bought and is enjoying.

Have a nice day!

If you choose to waste money keep shooting to try to break in, it's your choice.

I know beretta, the fact there's no extractor make it even more sensitive to rough chamber that prevents the empty shells from coming out. The problem is the shell does not come out all the way and stuck in the chamber half way. Polishing the chamber resolve most of the problem. I don't want to suggest doing it himself because over polishing can be dangerous.

Well, Beretta says that the gun has a break in period per their manual and while you're breaking the gun in you can also become familiar with it and learn to shoot it better, so I'd hardly call putting a few boxes of ammo through it a "waste of money".

How do you know that the problem is a rough chamber? The OP did not specify what sort of malfunctions he was having, only that he had three "jams". You do know that there are other things that can cause a malfunction besides a rough chamber right?

What make you so sure beretta will just send the gun back. Are you speaking on behalf of beretta? If not, DO NOT SAY THAT.

First of all, the caps lock and bold text are unnecessary. Secondly, I said that Beretta is likely to send the gun back saying that they inspected and test fired it because I don't believe there's anything wrong with the OP's gun in the first place. How can Beretta or anyone else repair a gun if there's no problem to correct in the first place?

I sent back my S&W and Colt back, that was before I even started doing gun smithing. They fixed it. It's because I saw what they did, that interested me. So I got into gun smithing. I further accurized the Gold Cup for competition. I further improve the gun.

OK, good for you. That being said I've never met a competent gunsmith that could diagnose a problem with a gun sight unseen with the limited amount of information of "three jams in 75 rounds."

It is NOT rocket science, problem is usually very obvious if you know how to look for it. AND it's very obvious if you know what you are doing.

And how do you look for it on a gun that you've never even been in the same room with? Again, the OP did not specify what sort of "jam" he's having so we have very little to go on as to what might be causing them. If the gun is stove-piping empty cases, I'd guess either ammunition that's loaded too lightly or possibly a problem with the ejector. If the cartridges are nose-diving and causing failures to feed, I'd suspect issues with the magazine. "Jam" on the other hand isn't very descriptive so unless you have some sort of magical gunsmith ESP, I don't see how you're diagnosing this as a rough chamber.

It's like if you buy a S&W revolver, you do NOT go shoot thousands of rounds in double action or dry fire thousands of times to smooth out the pull. You go in and polish certain places to make it butter smooth without firing a shot.

Actually, I've heard a lot people who very knowledgeable about S&W revolvers recommend just that: lots of shooting and dry fire. I know this: the average person is a lot less likely to damage their S&W by shooting it and dry firing then they are from having at it with stones and flitz :rolleyes:

I am quite sure beretta will do something about it. This is an OLD design, there's a lot they can improve it. What do you have to lose? Other than save money keep trying different brands of bullets.

Well for one thing, there's the several weeks to months to be lost while the OP is waiting to get his gun back. There's also the possible cost to ship the gun (I don't know if you've ever paid to ship a handgun, but they have to go next day air and that ain't cheap). As far as trying different brands of ammo, how is the OP to know what his gun will and will not work with if he doesn't try it? You yourself said that your gun should work with several brands of ammo, are you suggesting that the OP should be able to just buy whatever brand of ammo he happens across and carry it in confidence without ever testing it in his gun?

I'm not convinced that there's anything at all wrong with the OP's gun, he's only shot 1 1/2 boxes of ammo through it and, even at today's prices, another box or two of .32 Auto ammo will still be cheaper than shipping his gun to Beretta. Regardless of what you type in bold font and all caps, having a few malfunctions early on is relatively common with a brand new gun and is nothing to be alarmed about.

If you buy it from a store, just go back to the store. I am SURE the sales person will say EXACTLY what you said to discourage him from sending it back because it's more work for them. Just insist on it. I bought so many guns, I know how they are.

I've bought a lot of guns from a lot of different stores too and most of them that I've ever dealt with would tell me to call Beretta and see what they have to say about it. Notice how most gun stores have a large, prominent sign that says "all sales are final". That means that warranty issues on a brand new gun isn't the retailer's responsibility. By "just insisting on it" you might get them to ship it for you, or you might simply be shown the door.

It is if you have to spend money to buy say 5 boxes of bullets just to try to break in the gun. What if after 5 boxes, the gun still jams?

5 boxes is 250 rounds. I know a lot of people who won't even consider carrying a gun until it's gone through that many rounds of their chosen JHP. I personally think that's excessive, but I am willing to give a brand new gun at least 100-200 rounds to break in before I start considering sending it back to the factory. If after 250 rounds, the gun was still having issues I'd send it back, but the OP only has 75 rounds through his and even at that, he says the jams have stopped.

Also, you cannot shoot hundreds of rounds through the Tomcat, you have to worry about the cracking problem as talked in another thread. You just don't shoot thousands of rounds in this kind of small gun. I have 3 Beretta 950BS, two I shoot a lot, one I did everything on it, shot like 300 rounds to proof it, and I stop shooting that one and use it for self defense. I use the other two to practice.

BTW, I broke the recoil spring on one of them after less than 2000 rounds. You cannot shoot a lot with those small guns, they don't last. Want to shoot a lot, buy two, one for shooting, one to just proven out and keep it.

The tip-up barrel Berettas are just fine to shoot as much as you like so long as you understand and follow Beretta's ammo recommendations. The newer "wide slide" Tomcats are just fine to be shot and practiced with so long as you adhere to Beretta's guidance to shoot ammo which generates no more that 130 ft. lbs of energy. Such ammo would include Federal, Remington, Winchester, Aguila, Magtech, Prvi Partizan, Speer, Blazer, and even Underwood so long as you avoid their +P version. I personally have a 950 B (the older model without the manual safety) which has "made in Italy" stamped on the slide. This indicates that my gun was manufactured and imported prior to 1968 and I've shot several hundred rounds through mine with nary a problem, not to mention who knows how many rounds in the roughly four decades before I bought it.

If the Tomcat couldn't stand up to 600 rounds of the relatively low powered .32 Auto ammunition that Beretta recommends, I doubt they'd still make it as they'd be losing too much money from the warranty claims. What is this notion that you "can't shoot a small Beretta very much" based on? Can you cite any recommendation about round counts from Beretta themselves? Or is it just based on what you've read on forums and your own perception?

The tip-up barrel Berettas like the Tomcat are very attractive to people who have limited hand strength as they obviate the need to rack the slide (this is why my wife bought hers). Also, some of us actually like .32 Auto and the options in guns are limited to the Tomcat, NAA Guardian, and Kel-Tec P32.

I have an old Beretta 1919 that was made in 1920 I believe, that was shot long enough to become a smooth bore. New barrel actually did make it slightly more accurate but I had Beretta fit it for me.

My Tomcat has had more than 300 rounds through it and that included some Fiocci and Geko ammo. No crack yet but I did nave a few failure to ejects and IIRC one failure to feed early on.

But that's a sample of one. I imagine though that far more Beretta 3032 have been sold and have not had a cracked frame than have been sold and had a cracked frame.

Fortunately, no other company has ever made a pistol that had mechanical issues that kept it from working. Right?

Back